Does everyone put their 2 year olds in "school"?

I keep hearing of more and more people having their 2 year olds in preschool. I thought this was very young. My daughter is not in school at all. We go to the science center where we have a membership. There is a play area there and other children, but that's the extent of it for us. I think my daughter is too young for school. Anyway, she already knows her abcs, how to count to 15 in English and Spanish and we're working on colors. She can recognize her name when written down, but she doesn't know each letter yet. She knows many animals and is bilingual.....what can preschool teach a toddler that she can't learn at home? Besides socialization which will come in time and I don't think that's necessary just yet to learn that in a school setting.

BridgetC140

Asked by BridgetC140 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I waited until she was 3! I think that I wanted her to enjoy being a kid and not having to go to school for 20 years+ straight. I think your daughter sounds pretty smart!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 4:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• How does she do at scheduled work? that is one reason why I opted for preschool. While my DD (3yrs old) knows the same things that yours does, she does not do so well at being on a schedule. Once in kindergarden, it will be important that they learn to follow directions and follow a schedule.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 4:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son started to go to a play group when he was 2 it was one day a week for 2.5 hrs and I got to go to the library and do my homework when he was there. I was a nursing student at the time. then at 3 he did head start now at 4 he is in pre k and loves school.
    logansmom6106

Answer by logansmom6106 at 5:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Nope not me. I keep them home as long as I think it is good for them. My kids went to preschool at 4 yrs old just so they could get used to the idea of school. Even then it was part time, they were home by 1pm. I think it is alright to let babies be babies. If you can have them home with you then you should. You can never get that time with them back.

Answer by gemgem at 5:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• As a working mom my daughter went to school/daycare around a year and a half. It was what we had to do. If I stayed at home then she would have too. I would rather have her in school with other kids than home watching tv and eating crap with a sitter. She is four now and in preschool full time. We have plenty of time together and she does a lot more than most kids we know. Im happy with my decision and back any parent in there choice whether its school or home
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think it is really depends on the parents. You can hear that more and more children are at preschool and in nurseries because more and more mum has to go back to work earlier. Here the women go back to work when the baby is 6-month-old because the government doesn't pay for staying home mums anymore. So they should go back to work otherwise the family would go bankrupt. But here everyone has a nanny or send the children to the nursery.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• No. I struggled sending my DS at 3. I think alot of people glorify daycare and call it school just to make them sound good. My 3yo's preschool is actual school, only 5 hours a week though. He needed it. We don't have anything in our area to go do, no museums or science centers or even simple playgroups - we're in a ruraly area, in a tiny town, and even towns an hour away don't have much. Shoot, I haven't heard of "school" options for 2 yo kids around here, only daycare!
    Anonymous

• I sent my daughter for 2 half days starting at the age of 2. It was a lot of fun for her and she made some good friends that we had playdates with on her days off school. She learned how to sit still for circle time, how to share her toys with others, how to take turns. It was a very positive experience! My son turned 2 in November and he will be starting 2 half days/week next August.

Answer by missanc at 6:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I technically started my son in preschool at 2 but he was really just a few weeks shy of being 3 and started a few mornings a week for two hours in a three year old program:) He did great but I would not have done it any earlier. It has been a great experience but I think this has more to do with his outgoing personality and I would not have started my girls that young. They weren't ready until 4.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 7:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010