did U tell your children that you were pregnant?

My daughter is and we want to tell her so bad but I think what if something happened? We just found out a couple of days ago ourselves. She has wanted this for so long and I want to tell her so bad. How do you explain if something would happen to the baby?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i wouldnt tell her till your at least 12weeks along. the 12 weeks mark is pretty much the safe zone. theres less a chance you can miscarry. i didn't tell my son that he was going to have a sibling till i was 12weeks along.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 5:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i think it depnds on the age of child you have. we told our first son we were having a baby when i was about 8weeks along but he was 8years old and if for some reason we lost the baby he was old enough to explain that sometimes god needs his babies back in heaven but my son has had to deal with death in our family so. This time around we told him we were pregnant about the same time and of course told our 20mo old to bu he doesnt truly get it i dont think lol. It just depends on age of child your telling and if they will understand if something happens.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 5:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'm not for keeping kids away from biology. If you want to tell her, go ahead. I lost a pregnancy at 17 weeks and my then 2 year old knew about it. We explained what happened and how the baby died. I think it helped him process why I was sick and sad, where he would have been clueless regarding the up-heaval of the house had the pregnancy not been shared.

If there is a chance that she'll hear other people talking about it, I'd say let her know so that she hears it from you first. If something does go wrong with the pregnancy, just tell her what happened. I don't think it really needs to be a big deal - sure she'll be disappointed, but she won't have missed out on sharing the excitement now. That is, after all, life - mixes of excitement and disappointment.

Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think I told my daughter (2.5 at the time) when I was 3 months along with her brother (maybe even farther along than that...). I figured if something happened, then we would tell her. I told her about this pregnancy when I was only about 2 months along.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010