How do you teach your children about other cultures?

I saw this on another site, and thought it was a great question.
[http://www.circleofmoms.com/thread.php?entity_id=1&entity_type=Y&thread_id=611864]

My hubby and I try our best to teach our son about other cultures through books, trying different foods, traveling (more when he's older), and celebrating different holidays with friends who respect those holidays.

What about you? Maybe I can learn a few great ways from all of your answers!

Vivi.C.

Asked by Vivi.C. at 5:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• My DD is white, Samoan and black. SO she already has a good start on knowing about other cultures.
    She is into art big time and asks questions like what is the IRA. That one had me laughing.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 5:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Our family resembles the united nations and we read and ask questions. We also have meal of the month where we pick a culture and food figure out how to make the food and then we go to a restaurant and talk about it.

pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• for me it would be by taking him out and seeing different ppl so that i can explain to him that not everyone is the same that we are all different and that it's not nice to judge... my son is a major mut... from both me and my husband... it's just nice to have there minds open.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• we take him chinese, mexican, and italian restaurants
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I am Hungarian, my So is South African. We live in England. One of my best friends is English and the other is Serbian. The little shop where we go every morning is Indian. And sometimes we order Chinese or Indian take-out. Mhaw.

But there are loads of good books and cartoons worth to read or watch. But I think the best teacher is life.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Well, I live in a very mixed cultural town. My daughter has a lot of friends who come from mixed cultural families, so she sees and learns from them. She also learns at school. She is into her own culture right now, which is American/Italian. We like to try all types of different foods from other cultures.
    Jerzymom

Answer by Jerzymom at 5:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• here is a GREAT BOOK....

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 5:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Oh yes. I grew up traveling and i think it is very important that they are exposed to as many cultures as they can be. I have many friends from many different backgrounds, and we are always doing something with someone that helps her understand that the world is a big, unique place. We will be starting to travel with her next year.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We read about other cultures...but not every day. It is subtle. A book who the main character is from China or India. Books that illustrate diversity. They tell a story usually just the way most books tell a children's story. Fairy tales in our home usually are illustrated and told from the African centric point of view. In our home we "visit' other countries. This spring we will visit France. Our hall will become alive with famous paintings that currently hang in the Louvre. We will eat next to the Eiffel Tower that is built out of our building blocks. Visit a local French restaurant, listen to music from French musicians, and build castles by our French country side. All from our home. Then India, then Italy....until one day we can visit those real places.  We have friends from all different countries and who have a different primary language.  The art in our home and the books we read to the music we

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• listen to reflect other herritages and cultures. We also visit the local colleges when they have preformances that are interesting that represent other cultures or types of things that appeal to us. Living it is important to us. In little ways every day and in some whacky fun ways from time to time.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2010