I'm the only one who spent time with the nieces

My sister has a 14 mos baby boy with a new husband alongside (the father). Her two daughters from the previous marriage came along for the holiday festivities. My sister barely hugged her two daughters (let alone even spoke to them except to discipline them) but hovered over her new son & hubby. I decided to do the opposite and spent more time with the girls (especially since the baby doesn't even know who I am yet). The girls were along my side the whole time as a response. In my heart, I feel that they are suffering from a lack of motherly attention. The girls were overactive at first, but calmed down in my presence. I feel bad because I had to leave since I live & work two states away. I'm not saying anything to anyone in my family since there's no need for conflict. Even Gramma held the baby more (which the girls asked me why). Very sad.

Both girls are in their pre-teens. I fear for their teen years.

Questions:
Are my feelings accurate, or am I overreacting? And if I'm not overrreacting, what can I do in response of my two nieces?

Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• That is when you should reach out to them and reach out to her (Sister) and tell her she has older children who need her as well. Not treading on someones feet being polite is not going to help them. You can be there for them as well.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You are not overreacting.
    1st off - call your sister on it. She is the mother to 3 children, not 1.
    2nd off - see what you can do to arrange time with your nieces.....maybe coordinate part of your vacation when they are home in the summer and have a "cousin" camp with the two of them and maybe more of the "cousins".
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You are not overreacting and you need to talk to yor sister. Kindly remind her that she has 2 other children that need her too. Keep spending time with your nieces, make sure they know they can call you anytime if they need you or just want to talk.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2010