my 5 month old has to be rocked to fall asleep and it's killing my arms, back and neck HELP!

My 5 1/2 month old son needs to be rocked to fall asleep for his naps during the day and to be put to bed at night. Although my husband takes care of this when he's home, I do it most of the time and it's killing my neck, arms and back. He's almost 17lbs and sometimes I have to rock him for a long time. I'm a small gal and it's putting a lot of strain on my body. Today I tried putting him down in his crib for his nap instead of rocking him and he cried for 30 minutes until I came and finally just rocked him because he scratched his face up. When will this end??

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 5:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• start putting him in a swing or vibrating chair... it will help you in the long run.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son is 8 months old and I still rock him to sleep! Im a tiny thing as well and even tho it hurts I do it because it comforts/soothes him.
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Never. Stop rocking him. You can put him down on his tummy and pat his back or bottom until he falls asleep. Or you can just leave him to cry until he falls asleep. It is hard in the beginning but after two weeks he will get used to it that when he cries mum will not come, because it is sleeping time. Put him in his cod, make everything silent and dark so nothing can disturb him. Put a sleeping bag on him so he can't put it in front of his airways. If it is enough warm and silent he will go to sleep sooner or later. It is bad for the first some weeks but he gets used to it pretty soon. You can rock him if you put him down on his tummy and you just stroke his back and pat his bottom. If you keep saying 'sssssssssshhhhhhhhhh' during it, it will calm him down and because it is monotone he will fall asleep. Or you can sing a song or hum something to him. Try out which one works for you.

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 5:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Rocking a baby in your arms is not necessary, there are other ways to ensure that you are loving him. And, letting him "cry it out" for 30 minutes is just as it feel: it is abuse. It teaches him that you will abandon him and not comfort him, and that he will have to learn to cope with being abandoned. Sorry, but it is much too young to do this to a child.

- Instead of rocking him, hug him against you such that his head is on your shoulder. sing to your baby and move gently from side to side in a "dance" motion.
    - Lay down with him on your bed and let him fall asleep in your arms. You can then remove your arm and get up and he will stay asleep. Babies love this.
    - Get a baby sling and wear your baby. They are very comfortable and will not impede your movement if the right one is bought. Your little one will love the constant motion as you "wear him" thoughout the day.
    - A rocking chair often is a good solution as wel
    Cedartrees4

Answer by Cedartrees4 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• swing
    or swaddle him up, if too old for swadlle, use cozy blankets aroung hum, put him in a rectangle laundry basket and rock back and forth, sliding across carpet works, sit on floor pull back and forth-can relieve your back while working your abs and arms

good luck, mine was this way too
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Hmmm...I rocked my daughter to sleep until she was almost 12 months (close to 25lbs). I guess I enjoyed it although it was a bit of a strain as I'm very petite. I rarely get to hold her while she sleeps now, so while it seems like a pain......enjoy it now. A rocking chair is a great idea. Your back will be supported and baby gets the rocking action. Best wishes.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• here is what happened to me w/ my first child. he would only fall asleep if he was in his swing. i was up one night just pushing the swing because he broke yet another one , and his daddy got tired of me being sore & grumpy so he put the baby in his crib and let him cry his way to sleep .( i know it sounds mean but he didnt cry like he was going to die) ,and from that night on he slept in his crib.
    jan1969

Answer by jan1969 at 9:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• iv had this problem and still do and im on my third child i brok down and used a swing for my first two bu now with my third he wont do the swing or any thing els i actly have to rock him and im little as well and its hard to let mine cry it out my three kids share a room.. but i have found that laying him on my chest while im laying down and patting him on the but gently helps and makes it less painful for me you might try it. :)
    gragg88

Answer by gragg88 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Put a pillow under your arm to absorb his weight and he can rest his head on the pillow. It won't cause you any pain at all. PS-Do you have a glider type chair? They come in small, medium, and large. You just push the floor with your foot, not your back. Those are better than the older rocking chairs IMHO.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:00 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The swing was my best friend...when my LO needed to nap and my arms needed a break (He was 18lbs a t 5 months) lol
    LogansMamma0511

Answer by LogansMamma0511 at 11:14 AM on Jan. 1, 2011