Punishment for a 18 month old

My son has been hitting, screaming and throwing things non stop lately.
He doesn't understand time out yet. But I do slap his hand from time to time.
Any ideas on how to get him to stop and some punishment ideas?

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I told my 19 month old "No throwing" or "No hitting" very firmly, then I put him in time out for 2 minutes.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• we use time out for our 20month old and started it around 18months they do learn very quickly what time out is. only leave him there for like a min and half to 2mins. My 20month old now does get time out and if hes being bad he gets one warning and then is told he is going to sit in time out if he does it again. when he does do it again i say imeditly your going to time out and take him there. He crys the whole time saying no out no out but he has to learn.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would say start doing time outs so he starts to understand it. only make him sit there for 2 minutes or he'll forget. Or take something away that he likes.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 5:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• IF he starts to throw the things away, just tell him, if he doesn't need those toys, you can put them away. Buy a nice big box and when he start to misbehave, just throw the toys into the box and send them to sleep. Tell him, he doesn't have to play with those toys if he doesn't want. Offer him other kind of toys. Like if he is throwing building blocks around, than put them away, sit him down and tell him, he can play with the crayons and draw something on a paper or he can just sit there silently. If he follow the misbehaviour just put him back to the table and tell him to sit still. After two minutes you can ask him if he knows why he was in time out. You can tell him because we don't throw our toys around. When he finished with the time out you can let him choose a new toy and play with it. When he starts to throw the toys you can repeat this method repeatedly. It works pretty soon:P

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Umm.....it's hard at that age. When my daughter would act like that. I got the best response from her when I COMPLETELY ignored her. She did not get what she wanted, so she sought a difference approach. It worked for me. Hitting her hand would have only made her cry and break my heart. Ignoring her got her attention more than trying to change her behavior. Of course, if it's something small, I always attempt redirection, but if she is flying off the handle.....ignore ignore ignore. It works every time.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have a 20 month old doing the same thing. And I also from time to time smack his hands. We really havent tried to time out that much but I really want to start. I told my fiance that I really dont want to start hitting him cause my dad used to do that to me and now I am a hitter. When me n the fiance start fitting I always end up hitting him or atleast trying to. So I really dont want my son to start that too cause it is not ok. But yet I still do it with my son for now cause we need a good place to have time out n discuss it with one another on how to go about it so we are on the same page. Good luck momma!
    misssababe1128

Answer by misssababe1128 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• We do time outs for 1 minute. I always use the same corner. Dd is 20 months now and if she is misbehaving then I ask here if she wants go to time out and she usually stops and I always make her apologize .
    FLmomma2be

Answer by FLmomma2be at 2:46 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• eye rolling

mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• How did I know I was going to get that response.
    mommy_of_two388

• This isnt going to be a popular answer but.........smacking hands and telling a child not to hit makes not sense. Your still smacking his hands so obviously that is not helping. Try getting right down to his level look him in the eye and tell him "no hitting we do not hit". Redirect him. Keep it short simple to the point and consistant. He is 18 months old. Unless he is a prodigy he doesnt have much of an attention span. Toddlers have melt downs because they cant voice what they want. They havent learned control. Being consistant will work much better then hitting and hurting.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010