Breastfeeding Question

Ive been breastfeeding my son for 9 weeks now and it seems like hes always hungry no matter how often I feed him. We started supplementing one 3oz bottle of formula at about 5 weeks and i pumped. Then we moved it up to 5oz but now even when he eats that he acts like hes starving.
My question is: Is it possible that us giving him formula is making my milk dry up even though I pump?
Also I dont get that full feeling like I did at first. And my let down isnt as pronounced. Does that go away after so long of nursing?
With my daughter we started supplementing while still in the hospital and my milk dried up at 7 weeks but I just figured it was because I wasnt nursing enough.

MrsDuff

Asked by MrsDuff at 5:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The more formula you give, the more your milk will dry up. You can breastfeed exclusively for 5-6 months, but it takes learning your baby's "cues" for feeding. Feeding any baby with a bottle interrupts the natural skill they use in order to feed from the breast. Breastmilk is "supply and demand" though. The more you BF your baby, the more your milk will come in. Here are some hints:

- Do not let your baby get as upset as crying before you breastfeed. Watch his body language and bf as soon as you see the "cues". Example: He may make a certain noise when hungry, or turn his head to the side and open his mouth. That is the cue. My daughter did not cry at all until she began teething, because whenever she did this "head turning" thing, I pulled up my shirt and fed her.
    - Your son may need to feed multiple times a day. They go through a period at about 6 weeks where they feed constantly.
    (cont.)
    Cedartrees4

Answer by Cedartrees4 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• On demand feeding, your milk will increase...it's exhausting at first, but baby will get more of a schedule. Good luck!
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 7:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, it is more then likely, actually. Full feeling, and loss of the let down feeling (not the actual let down, just the feeling of it) DOES decrease after time. Babies DO act starving, even if they're not, and that's actually GOOD for your supply. A baby fussing at the breast sends more signals to your body to produce more.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I supplemented and didnt have a issue with drying up but everyone is different i made so much milk that i ended up getting a infection so i cant help you there. Id say cut back on the formula and nurse him more often if you think he needs it so your milk supply will build back up. the feeling of fullness does go away after a while so thats normal.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Caffeine can also make your mild supplement lower.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 6:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• (cont).

- Feed your baby on your bed while lying down. It enables your milk to come in better as both of you can then relax. Don't rush things. You can even get a good book to read while feeding.
    - Do not feed "on schedule." Babies aren't like that.
    - Do not use bottles! Again, it disrupts the normal muscle action required to bf, which is entirely different from any bottle.
    - Drink LOTS of fluid yourself. My own doctor recommended drinking at least a litre a day.

If you do this, he should not eat like he's starving. Your milk will increase and you will be able to exclusively breastfeed.
    Cedartrees4

Answer by Cedartrees4 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If you don't have to supplement, I wouldn't. It is conveneint but nursing on demand is the best way to keep your supply up. Also, your LO could just be going through a growth spurt.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Definitly best to nurse on demand and NO FORMULA!
    I swear there was times i thought i should just walk around shirtless with dd! It does get better.
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 7:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I always tell people to eat dates to increase their milk supply. It worked for me anyway. I ate those giant madjool dates...about 3 or 4 a day.
    sukainah

Answer by sukainah at 8:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, the formula is leading you into a vicious cycle. Dump it. Expect him to be at the breast ALL THE TIME for a bit. It's normal and will let up.

Drop by the Breastfeeding Moms group for more help.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010