I saw a woman slap her son in the face today, at the mall. What would you have done?

I don't usually get involved in peoples' business, but it's difficult to see something like that after working hand-in-hand with CPS for so many years. The boy looked to be about 6-years-old.

kenzie07

Asked by kenzie07 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• This is such a difficult situation. You don't ask an easy question. And despite the fact it may not be considered abuse by legal standards....the damage it does to the child's mental and emotional health as well as the damage it does to the parent/child relationship is horrible.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• So Bridget just because we said we wont do anything means we must slap our children? You must be one of those people that gets involved in everyone's business even before knowing whats going on
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Well working in CPS you should be able to judge the abuse. Not saying that you always could but if she seemed like an abuser and aggressive then you would go from there. I personally would mind my own business. I dont think its right when ppl judge others on how they disipline. However as I said...if she seemed like an abuser or dangerous I might have called someone to step in with out getting involved on a personal level. Its gotta be hard to see what you see and know what you know and wonder if you are supposed to do something. And also wonder if you could have saved a child. I couldnt imagine dealing with that know all of what you know :)
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would have gone to mall security and told them that I saw a woman slap a child and that I was concerned for his safety. No child deserves to be slapped. If the mom had reached her limit, then she needed to take a few deep breaths, not direct her frustrations on her child. That is exactly how abuse begins.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 6:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would have assumed he was backtalking or cussing and ignored it completely... If she had punched him or hit him with something that would be different. But I don't see anything wrong with basic discipline. I'm usually the first to spank my children in public, I don't do this "Wait til we get home" crap. So I would usually just assume that the kid had misbehaved and that he deserved to be disciplined...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• stay out of it.

You have no idea what waas going on before she slapped him
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I don't know. I don't think there's ever a reason to slap a child in the face. I probably would have just made a snide remark like "Hmm.....maybe someone should slap you in the face." If she'll do that in public, I can only imagine what she does at home behind closed doors.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:06 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• like, slap him across the face or smack him on the mouth? depends on how hard it was if it was across the face...i wouldn't have even blinked if it was a smack on the mouth if the situation called for it. some kids need a smack on the mouth in my opinion.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I left a restaurant one night, and walking to my car, I saw a lady with a kid that looked to be about 10 yrs. old. They were going at it, the kid was hitting his mom, and she was just overwhelmed. I walked up and started a conversation with her, intending to offer a break in the action. He was autisic, and having a meltdown, and she was just trying to get him under control. My first thought when I saw what was going on was that the mother had been hitting him, but after some time talking to both of them and quieting them down I saw that she was really struggling to keep him under some kind of control.
    MamaAlice54

Answer by MamaAlice54 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• OP, if I left the store because my kid acted up, they would be getting exactly what they wanted- US LEAVING THE STORE.-lol I don't get your issue with discipline in public. You cannot even say WHAT the child even did, for you don't even know the whole situation. You need to MYOB.

Anonymous