I stupidly poured a little oil down the kitchen sink while cooking last week and now the drain is clogged...what should I do? Will drano work for what I suspect is hardened oil?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Try pouring boiling water with a cup of baking soda down the sink. Follow it up with distilled white vinegar, then another round of boiling water.
    MariAnKenobi

Answer by MariAnKenobi at 6:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• try running really hot water, or pouring boiling water slowly down your sink and seeing if that helps at all.
    abygalesmom

Answer by abygalesmom at 6:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• A little oil would not do it. But a build up or a considerable amount would. Drano would help. You might have to get a small snake at Home Depot.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 6:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Pour 1/2 cup of baking soda down the drain. Add 1/2 cup of white vinegar and cover the drain if possible. Let set for a few minutes,then pour a kettle of boiling water down the drain to flush it. The combination of baking soda and vinegar can break down fatty acids. Do not use this method After any commercial drain opener has been used or is still present in the standing water. I have used this method myself it did not work the 1st time, but the 2cnd time it did!! If needed use a snake - but I would try this method first. Hope this helps.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• take the pipe off and see where the clog is. If its in the U trap,just scoop it out. If its farther along,you'll need to snake it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Boil water in the cattle or in a pot and pour it down into the sink until it works again. If it is from the oil it will go away. If it is not than you need to find another cause of the draining problem and probably a plumber. Or your DH:)

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 6:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Drano will do it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• DH suggested drano--I just want to double check if it'll work or see if there is something else to I can try.
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010