did you have to take progesterone to sustain a pregnancy?

I am not pregnant but have had two miscarriages in the last six mths while breast feeding. Someone suggested getting my progesterone levels and estrogen checked. I have an appt in a week but im wondering will they perform the test if im not currently pregnant. Any comments or suggestions is appreciated..thanks

suzzanna

Asked by suzzanna at 6:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• Yes, I did have to take progesterone to sustain my pregnancies, but even the lower doses didn't stop me from miscarrying once we found out that was the problem. I had to be on high doses. As I remember it, they won't be able to tell by your levels when you are not pregnant, but the next time you think you are pregnant you call them and tell them that you are at high risk for miscarrying. They will get you set up immediately with blood work, progesterone, and then follow up bloodwork until you get to 12 weeks. After 12 weeks everything is fine with the progesterone because by then the placenta makes it for the baby.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 6:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Gosh...ok now im really scared because I may not get to the doctor in time. Thanks for your commen I apreciate it
    suzzanna

Comment by suzzanna (original poster) at 6:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It's kind of pointless to test ONCE whil eyou're not pregnant. If you're going to determine progesterone inefficency you will need to test your levels every day for a whole cycle. An easier way to tell if you have a low progesterone problem is to chart your cycle. If the time between ovulation and the start of your next period is less than 12 days, you have what is called Luteal Phase Defect, which is essentially just low progesterone. Once you know if that's your problem you can take steps to rectify it BEFORE getting pregnant again, like taking a B-vitamin complex, vitex, and progesterone creams. Suppliments after pregnancy has occured is not evidence based for preventing miscarriage.

I had LPD and got pregnant. My progesterone levels were half what they were supposed to be. I started taking the suppliments and my levels normalized and my pregnancy was carried to term, but that doesn't mean it works for everyone.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• CONT

You can learn to chart your cycle by going to the library or book store and getting Taking Charge of Your Fertility by Toni Weschler.

I think the first step is to chart a couple of cycles and see what is going on.

Breastfeeding does sometimes lower progesterone levels to the point it causes miscarriage, especially after a pregnancy loss. My luteal phase was fine until I had an ectopic pregnancy, after that it was only 9 days :(

Don't worry about getting to the doctor in time because you will hopefully have this fixed before you concieve, and therefore you won't need the doctor :)

Good luck!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, I take the progesterone shot weekly and the promethium pill (which has progesterone in it) nightly. I would talk to you doctor about trying it. When I had my ultrasound yesterday, the doctor said the only thing that is sustaining my pregnancy right now is the progesterone.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes I did. I did have one miscarriage and I believe it was because my doctor would not listen and test my levels. I changed doctors after that and had three beautiful boys because he (the new doctor I found) knows how to listen to a patient when taking a history.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• just a side note since I saw you miscarried while breastfeeding...that could be why. It's hard for the body to make hormones to sustain a pregnancy while at the same time making hormones to produce milk. The hormone responsible for milk production is the same one that causes labor contractions. It's not impossible to maintain a pregnancy while breastfeeding, but it is harder to do in most cases. Conflicting hormones.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I recently miscarried, Dec 10th at 8 weeks. The baby stopped growing at 5 weeks. My progesterone levels were really low they said. The next time I get a BFP I need to get to the OB so they can give me progesterone suppositories to insert until I am around 10 weeks.
    You would have thought your OB would have checked your levels.
    That was my 4th pregnancy and 1st miscarry.

good luck!
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• when i was preg with my daughter i had to do vaginal inserts so that she would attach to the sides of my uterus
    momofalltrades

Answer by momofalltrades at 10:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• with my 3rd pregnancy (current) i started spotting at 4 wks and so my dr checked my progesterone and it was only 6.5 so i had to start progesterone suppositories and do them twice a day until 11 wks. I was scared and worried, i never had issues with my previous 2 kids, but here i am now 16 1/2 wks pregnant and baby is perfect! I have PCOS and conceived with clomid, my ovaries are F*CKED so it was no big suprise i had low progesterone seeings the ovaries are what produces progesterone until 10-12 wks when the placenta takes over ya know!
    kness7

Answer by kness7 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010