If I weigh 290 pounds and find out I'm pregnant, can I still lose weight?

I was going to get on a good diet I joined weight watchers got a treadmill and found out I was pregnant, now I know if I walk in the mornings and at night and changed my eating habbits I'll lose weight.. Bit is it okay to lose weight when your pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Thats something you need to run by your doctor
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Eating healthy and exercise is best for your baby anyway and if your overweight you are recommended to gain much less weight during pregnancy. 

bjojola

Answer by bjojola at 6:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would discuss it with your doctor. However, walking, swimming, yoga, and other low impact exercises have been proven to be very beneficial to a pregnancy. Combine that with healthy and well thought out food choices, and there is a good possibility for losing some weight. However, avoid any fad or crash diets like the plague. Weight Watchers is generally pretty good, but I would think it would have to be modified for pregnancy. But as I said, do discuss it with your doc asap. He or she will know if there are any special circumstances to stop you.
    mandaday

Answer by mandaday at 6:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Eat healthy now, and wait until you give birth.

Answer by older at 6:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, you can lose weight while pregnant. As long as you're eating healthy and exercising but not overdoing it or not getting enough nourishment for your baby.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I weigh the same when I got pregnant. Truthfully, you eat better when your pregnant and end up losing weight. I left the hospital after my first at less than what I started out at before my pregnancy Don't fall into the eating for 2 crap instead make sure you put the healthiest stuff in you. Lots of fruit and veggies very limited sweets. Also remember that they will be on you for gestational diabetes. Exercize safely and rest when your body tells you to.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 6:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Eat healthy like you plan and keep exercising like you have. If you lose weight then you do but you'll know it's because you are leading a healthy lifestyle. Bigger women have been known to lose weight while pregnant because they take better care of themselves so don't worry about it. Actually, the bigger you are the less they expect you to gain and as other Mothers on here have suggested, bring it up to your doctor and see what he/she says.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• nothing you mentioned was too drastic. stay on a healthy diet and you can keep walking the treadmill. The "extra calories needed to support a pregnancy are equivalent to a Pb&J sandwich. Not alot. But yes follow your doctor's advice.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, eat well, and be active. Your baby will thrive on the good nutrition!!!
    Also check with your midwife to be sure you are eating all the right stuff. :)
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:30 AM on Jan. 1, 2011