Can anyone relate?

I have a very over-bearing, and over-opionionated Mother-In-Law who tries to tell me all the time how to raise my kids. She is always trying to tell what to allow my kids to do and not. She REALLY REALLY Pisses me off! When I try and confront her then she will get super angry with me and then start a big fight about the situation. I dont know what to do anymore, I want her to stop but then again I dont want to always be fighting with her either. Any suggestions?

CassySchenk

Asked by CassySchenk at 6:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Sounds just like my world. I've just learn to have her crap go in one ear and out the other. No matter how many times I've said thank you for your advise but I can do it. Or asked her to stop telling me what to do she doesn't listen. Now I just smile and tune her out.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Smile and nod and do what you want.

Answer by older at 6:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Where does your husband fit in this? One thing that worked for me when my mil was not listening to me was I had my hubs talk to her. He told her that I was the mom, I had my own ideas on how to raise the children and If I needed her "advice" (aka opinions) I would ask for it. And until then back off and stop meddling! (It did work, she realized she was being a bit overzealous and she did back off). Another thing I have learned to do is when she does start in on something I will smile, nod, thank her for her 'advice' and then ignore what she said and do it my way.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Its time to out your foot down you need to sit down with her and tell her you are the parent this is your family and you are the one in charge. You need to tell her so or she will not stop. Remind her you are the mother and she is the grandma. GL momma
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• sorry put your foot down pushed the p and an o came out lol
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Or when she starts" giving advice" act busy and walk away. Don't give her an chance to talk.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I agree with MizLee. You need to have your husband talk to her. That is what my Mom had to with my Grandmother. It took only one time for her to back off. She told my Dad that it was about time he stood up for his family and took the bull by the horns. LOL gotta love a strong Polish woman to do some thing like that!!! LOL Hope things work out!! Happy New Year!! =-)
    ErinsMomma1

Answer by ErinsMomma1 at 8:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Have you tried telling her you appreciate her help and wisdom, but that sometimes you get frustrated and feel that she can be a bit overpowering? Obviously I don't know her, so this may just be horrible advice, but I find that sometimes starting with a compliment THEN giving the constructive criticism works...good luck, I feel for you...
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 3:14 AM on Dec. 31, 2010