Have you ever traveled by train?

Have you ever traveled by train (Amtrak)? When was the last time?

My dad worked for Amtrak when I was a kid so we rode free. I loved taking the train. We always went from Chicago up to Grand Rapids, MI to visit family.
then in college I took the train to and from school for breaks (from Chicago to LaPlate, MO--a 6 hour ride). Something ALWAYS happened on the way back to Missouri, lol. Once time we just stopped in the middle of no where and the lights went out in the car. It was pitch black outside and everyone was so quiet and then someone started talking about being attacked by dinosaurs and pretty soon the whole car was cracking up and our imaginations were going wild. Sat there for a good hour, too.
Last time I was on a train was in 2000. I had been visiting my parents in Chicago and took it back to LaPlata (lived in a town 12 miles north) while 4 months pregnant with my oldest. I miss it.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 6:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Travel

• I have and it was an experience.

Answer by older at 6:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I rode a train to Chicago w/ My Mom when I was about 10.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I've gone from CT to Washington DC about 6 times and CT to Boston once. LOVE the train.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I've had my fair share of bad train rides but I try not to fault the whole system. One time I was riding back to school on a horribly sprain foot (that happened the day before I left). We got to the station and they didn't want to give me a seat on the lower level even though I couldn't get up the stairs. Luckily my dad works there so smoothed it over. Once on the train I had my feet propped on my bag in front of me (there was a huge empty space that they use for overflow luggage). Well they were getting filled up so some attendant ripped the bag out from under my wrapped foot causing it to hit the floor and then just tossed some other bags on top of it. Didn't apologize. Another woman yelled at an old man for changing seats (he moved 1 back and we were the only people in the car). No one asked me once if I needed help and I was unable to get up and use the bathroom or to get food. It sucked. My dad complained.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 6:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think, though, I've had more good experiences than bad. I once met a woman traveling with her 2 kids cross-country. I was on my way home for some holiday and they were sitting in front of me. Eventually the 2 girls ended up in my lap coloring. I felt bad for the mom. She told me they had left LA 2 1/2 days earlier and were traveling coach. It's a 3 day ride to Chicago. Then they had a several hours long layover in Chicago before heading on to Buffalo. Talk about a long ride and all in coach (with 2 kids under 5). I kept her girls entertained for most of the 6 hour ride so she could get some sleep and a break.
    I also once rode on Thanksgiving (the only day my dad could get free tickets for me to come home) and that was fun. There was almost no one on there and they served turkey dinner in the diner car (gave away free dinners, too...a kid won one and was so excited he was running through the lounge car screaming).
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I love traveling by train. It's so humane.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:57 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, many times. Love the Dining car, and the Birthe.
    PA-PAGrandma

Answer by PA-PAGrandma at 8:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have not traveled by train in the US, but I did several times when we lived in Germany. We only had one bad experience. My husband and I were with a couple and their two children. Both of the children were in a double stroller with the mom pushing them. We got up to get ready to get off at the next stop. We were about to get off when we realized that we may be getting off a stop too soon, but the mom and the kids were already half way off the train when the doors began to shut. I pushed the stroller out before the doors closed but that left her and the kids alone and my husband, her husband, and me on the train. We had to go to the next stop, get off, get on the next train, get off at the stop where she was and get back on another train. It was quite an adventure, especially since we didn't know much German and the train operators didn't know much English.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:49 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have not.
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 9:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes. I love to travel by train. When DH and I traveled through Europe two summers ago...we took the Euro rail...awesome experience!
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 11:17 AM on Jan. 1, 2011