If you ask/tell your kids to do something do they actually do it?

Or do they just continue with your doing until you start threatening punishments?

My 10yo ticks me off. She was playing xbox and I repeatedly told her she didn't need to play (that's all she's done since Christmas...12 hours one day). So I told her to get off as I was on my way to the bathroom. I came back and she was still playing so I told her to get off again, she told me, "no". It wasn't until I told her she would be grounded from it the entire week that she actually made an effort to get off of it. This is a constant thing with her. She doesn't think the rules apply to her.
I'll tell the kids no TV/video game and the other 3 will stay away from them but she'll turn the xbox on and then get mad when she gets in trouble. It's very irritating.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 6:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• most of the time

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'd of yanked the cord on the box and punished the child for not listening. My son knows when we say do something we mean it, if not there is swift punishment.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 6:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Oh, I was about 2 seconds away from just shutting it off. I thought I was being nice and giving her a chance to at least save her game (I was in the kitchen by then, cleaning up from lunch) but she just took advantage of it. I think I'm just going to start turning it off after the first warning whether it is saved or not. Earlier it was my 9yo son. He was playing Madden when I got up and told him he didn't need to be on the xbox but he asked if he could finish his game so I let him (he won his Super Bowl, lol). But then he started another game. I told him to turn it off and he did (I think after the 2nd time when he knew I was dead serious). So...really, it's mostly the 10yo. And my 4yo who acts just like the 10yo.
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 6:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My 11 year old girls listen most of the time but sometimes will pretend they didn't hear me if they don't want to stop doing something.
    Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 7:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would set a time per day how much they could play with the xBox. So it wouldn't be any misunderstanding. And they could do that if they finished with everything they need to do and they were nice all day. If you stick with it, they will learn to be nice or they will say good bye to the XBox...

adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 7:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son does what he's told the first time or he's punished. He has become quite obedient...
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 7:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I give my kids 5 minutes to stop games and things like that. If they do not stop ( I set the timer) they will lose it for 1 week.......every single time. They learned quickly in life when mom says do it....she means it and they would not tell me no or they would lose it for a month for be disrespectful, and rude. 5 minutes is enough time to save or finish a game.
    My kids also have time limits on games/computers they cannot just be infront of the screen all day long. 1 hour unless they have a friend over I will give them 2 hours.
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• About once out of twenty times. I asked my son to pick up the livingroom tonight. He put his jacket in the washer and left the trash on the floor.
    sandbuster

Answer by sandbuster at 11:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would warn her that , from now on, if she doesn't listen the first time, you are going to be rude to her as well and just turn it off. Also, after turning it off for her for not listening, I would not let her play for the remainder of the day. It will remind her that you are the boss and listening the first time you tell her to do something is ALWAYS the best answer.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 3:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010