What do you normally tip the pizza person when you have it delivered?

I really don't fell like cooking so I'm getting a pizza. Normally I pick up but we have a storm going on right now I don't dare take my kids out in. This will be the first time I had pizza delivered so I have no idea how much to tip.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 6:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Drivers do not get paid the "delivery" charge. Whoever came up with the idea to call it that is a moron. It should be called "We want to charge you more for your pizza, but we don't want you to know that's what we're doing, so we're going to call it a delivery charge" charge. When you don't tip the driver (or you tip him some piddly amount), he makes NOTHING off that delivery, except for mileage reimbursement, and that's required by federal law, and that money is essentially spent by the time he gets back to the store.

Tip The Pizza Guy

To answer the question, we rarely get pizza delivered, but we try to do a minimum of $5. We usually get 2 pizzas, and it runs us about 15-20 pre-tip.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 7:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• When I have pizza delivered the place does have a $1.50 delivery fee so I don't tip much-- usually $1.50 - $2
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 6:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• makelineerror is correct.

The "delivery charge" that some places charge does not go to the driver. That charge is the companies way of recouping it's cost for mileage reimbursement in most cases, &/or insurance coverage/vehicle cost if they supply the vehicles. It is not a "tip" that goes to the actual delivery people. They only get "tipped out" if the customers tip them.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I usually tip $4 or $5+. One time I ordered a pizza on Christmas Eve and gave him a $20 tip.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• at least $5, especially if it is cruddy weather-they have to drive their own car, their own gas and wear and tear on the vehicle so $5 really isn't that much.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 6:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If it's really nasty and snowy out I've tiped $5. But normally 2-3
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 6:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I believe I normally do $5
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Depends on how much the overall bill is.

For a bill $25 or less (which it never is.. lol) $5
    For a bill $30-$50 (which is closer to norm for us) $10
    It just goes up from there. The most we ever tipped was $50 but the tab was a over $150 (this was for a family party a couple of years ago). The least we ever tip is $5.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 7:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• $2 to 5 depending on how much. Even when they have the delivery tip. It goes to the business not the driver at all. I know that because my brother delivered pizza's.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 7:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My Husband and I tend to tip between $5 and $7.
    -AJ

Answer by -AJ at 7:14 PM on Dec. 30, 2010