Why are my kids so strange?

We don't get really cold weather here normally, not like we're used to in Chicago (we live in WA state now). All last week it was in the low-mid 40s and every time it wasn't raining I told them to go play outside and they all refused saying it was just "too cold" [insert eye roll here]

But today...today it is 35F. Today they choose to go outside and play. Great, I say...finally. Problem is it's "too hot" for coats. I caught them out in the backyard in t-shirts. Told them to put coats on if they were going to be outside. So they came in and put sweaters on (not even warm sweatshirts...fashion kind of sweaters). Then they got mad when I insisted they put on their warm coats. They kept saying I was crazy and it was too warm for jackets even though I was just out there (and it's freezing!). Heck, I didn't even make them put hats on, just the coats.

Kids. They are off to the park to play army or spies or something.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 7:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• rolling on floorAll kids are strange. LOL!!

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Having too much fun. I very seldom wear a coat. I have a shirt with a big sweater over it.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 7:04 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• That's cute! Kids are weirdos.....all of them.........they grow up to be weirdos...like us! ;)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• They baffle me sometimes. In the summer they refuse to play in the rain even though it's warm and so much fun. But in the fall when it's cold, dreary and miserable they get mad when I tell them to come in when it rains. Back in November it started to rain while we were having a birthday party for my middle daughter. The boys got bored so they went outside to play and came in for cake soaking wet. It was in the 50s. If it had been in the summer, in the 80s, they would have refused to go out in the rain.
    What is it about bad weather that is so much more appealing?
    justanotherjen

Comment by justanotherjen (original poster) at 7:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I don't personally believe in Karma, but I can see how someone could use this as evidence of its existence.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Hey - they may not be cold! It is all relative and if it is damp at all, it feel colder than the temp. unless you are in the south east US were damp means summer humidity and then you are peeling layers off.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I used to be the same way when I was a kid, and now I won't go out in the winter without a few layers on and my coat. I'm usually chilly in the house too. I have pictures of myself as kid just after building a snowman, just standing outside with a short sleeve shirt on building and then posing with the snowman with some friends. Maybe they'll be normal later? LOL I think my kid is weird all the time too. He won't eat macaroni and cheese or anything most kids like which makes ordering stuff for him in restaurants really difficult, but he says 'Yummy!' to this nasty fish oil supplement I give him. I think it's really gross.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 8:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My 14 yr old son used to take his coat off in the middle of winter while playing outside. We live in SE Wisconsin and it gets COLD in the winter...very rare that you can go coatless during the winter.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010