Feeling guilty...

Ok so, I'm a new mom to a 4 month old baby, and I know that realistically I can't hold and play with my son all day (even if I could, I know that it wouldn't be good due to them needing to be able to play alone and not be spoiled) but I have a silly question....Sometimes if I get a chance to watch tv or get on the internet, I put him in his bouncy chair and let him watch cartoons or play (just for a little while)....am I bad for having the time to play with him and not? Don't get me wrong, 90% of the day I'm chatting and playing with him.

PANZONSMOM

Asked by PANZONSMOM at 7:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• It doesn't sound bad to me. Sounds like you're doing ok.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 7:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I do not think it is bad to put your child down to do something you want.

Answer by louise2 at 7:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Even mommy needs a break every once in awhile. Just don't ignore him if he cries. It's impossible to spoil a child under a year of age.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You're doing just find mommy
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Of course not. It's healthy for moms to have other outlets, and it sounds like you devote most of your time to your child. Relax and enjoy your new baby....and yourself!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think it is great that you understand that you still need time for yourself. It is very hard when you are a new mom to realize that you still need time for you.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I remember feeling like this. You can't be a good mom if you don't have time for yourself too.
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 7:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I agree with the others. You're not doing anything wrong! If he is happy entertaining himself, then great! Mothers need a little break here and there and if he is allowing you to have yours with no problems.....take it as a blessing.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• You are doing nothing wrong. He is happy, entertained and taken care of...nothing wrong with that.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• IMO that is exactly what you should be doing. Your baby doesn't need you to entertain him every moment he's awake.
    My 5mo spends most of his day playing on the floor. Right now he's pulling all the DVDs off the shelves. He finds this activily highly entertaining and it's teaching him lots of things (hand-eye coordination, muscle control, crawling since he had to actually get over by the movies, etc). If he isn't crying then I'm not holding him.
    Okay, now he's trying to eat the wipes (his other favorite toy because it makes a crunching noise, lol).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010