8 YEAR OLD FEAR OF THE DARK

Hello moms out there ,i have a 8 year girl fear of the dark she gose around the house ever night locking the doors and shuting all the bedrooms doors ,One night she had a bad dream and know i cant get get her to sleep in her room she sleeps in the front room on the couch ,Plz help me out if u know what i can do 2 help her out with this fear , Thnak You

Wanda

wildwanda

Asked by wildwanda at 7:48 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My 8 year old is afraid of the dark and we have a night light in the hallway that can be seen from the bed and a night light in the bedroom. Try talking about her dream and see what scared her, a tree scratching the window, a car door slamming, the neighbortaking out the trash. Mine is afraid of the dark in general.
    Melissabear3

Answer by Melissabear3 at 10:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Wow - My 11 year old is going throught the same exact thing - the door locking, sleeping in the living room, etc. It's been several months. I'm thinking of taking her to a doctor or a shrink. It's miserable. She also wakes up at night, crying, scared, banging on my door, wanting to sleep with us, (we're not going there - we have three kids and there is not room for everyone in my bed!) She's unreasonable about it. In the daytime, she seems fine. She just says she gets scared and can't help it. I don't know what to do. We've tried lights on, TV, everything but sleeping pills.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 11:19 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I am not sure if any of this will help. This is what I did with my kids. First we give them a flash light and we tell the bad things to leave them alone. The we created a dream jar. This is something that holds happy thoughts and memories in it. Every night they pick out something to read and then they read before they go to bed.
    Lastly, they all have dream catchers. These are placed near their beds and every night they ask the catcher to take their bad dreams.

One thing I would do is ask her what she is afraid of. This will help in coming up with things to help her.

Good Luck and send me a message if you have any questions
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• My son has the same problem. This seemed so silly but it's sensory thing. I put a super soft balnket on his bed and we got a night light. It seems to be helping. We discuss all the things that can be scary in his room before we go to bed and we started a regular ritual that included reading a not ever scary book, and I bought some of those glo in the dark stars and every night we put a new star on the ceiling. Hopefully he will stop being afraid of the dark before the ceiling is completely covered with stars. But it helps him concentrate on something other then the scary stuff in his room. We still have nightmare nights once in awhile and he comes and sleeps with me but not as much.
    specialtyjewels

Answer by specialtyjewels at 10:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2008

• I thank you all for all the good ideals and trying to help my 8 year old ,i am so happy i am not the only one with this problem THANKSSSSSSS

WANDA
    wildwanda

Answer by wildwanda at 10:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2008