how do you get your toddlers to eat meat. or..eat period.

my boys will notttt eat meat. theyre 15 months.
they dont eat much anyway, and Taden wont eat barely at all lately.
(he got sick and didnt want to eat that was about four weeks ago and since then he hasn't eaten much and now he's sick again and wont eat)
but neither of them will eat meat, ever.
I'm worried that they aren't getting enough protien.. they eat the yo toddler yogurt and it has protien, and they drink milk... but beyond that idk how to get them to eat any meat..
i've tried the sauce idea, but they just suck it off and spit the meat out.
tips, tricks, ideas, advice?
thaaanks

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Gosh My son is a meat head, he only wants meat...but
    for the stuff he doesn't like I let him feed me some bites, I make sure everything like veggies,meat, etc, is big enough for him to eat with his fingers. And after he sees me eat it he'll eat it. I'm his tester.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• mine's 3. only meat he eats is chicken nuggets. although i made a game out of balogna...if you fold it and take a bite you make a hole...you can make alot of holes too lol. other than that, when you figure it out, let me know.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 8:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• lol youre lucky. my kids dont care. if im like "mommy eats it!" and i eat it they just stare at me like... "well youre ridiculous so good for you mom."
    tonight I got taden to smile so i put some sweet potatos in his mouth and he gagged. -_- i THINK it was because of the texture but, he's a big dramatic so..... (but he's pretty sick so I let that one slide.)
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 8:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• bit dramatic*
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son didn't eat meat until about 2 to 2-1/2 or so. Give it time. I used to stress on the protein, too. Popcorn chicken cut up, he would eat. Salisbury steak (banquet) he would eat. Those Gerber Mac and cheese with chicken and veggies are WONDERFUL for protein. The graduates version, I think. Also, if they will eat mashed potatoes, smash it up the meat some and put a little bit in them. Just keep offering, but not forcing. Hang in there, it does get better. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Have you ever added up all the calories your child is eating? How many is the recommended calories, fat, etc for your child's height and weight? Maybe you are giving him too many calories in one day so he's not hungry enough for the healthy stuff? I'm not saying put your child on a diet (that's absurd), but I do know one thing and that is that calories = energy and if you give your child more energy than they are expending, then refusing the food might be a natural reaction to not needing the food at that moment.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 3:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• With toddlers it's a big deal because they are trying new tastes together and sometimes they will eat them and sometimes they won't. You just have to keep getting them to try new foods that they are not allergic to in addition to foods you know they have no problem eating. There usually are some foods toddlers won't give you a problem with though.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 31, 2010