Cyber bullying.. Please help!

I found out my daughter is being bullied on the internet. She is 16 years old and she was logged on facebook when I turned on the family computer and I saw she had been chatting with a boy called Sean who had written to her "die you stupid ugly bitch" and many many other stuff like that. In the begging of the chat he was flerting with her and then he wrote aweful stuff like "I can't believe you thought I would actually be interested in a big fat ugly monster like you"

Then, while I was on HER account a girl named Britney wrote "hey loser, I can't believe you're so stupid you would actually think anyone could ever like you. Go die, please!"

Now, I don't know who any of these kids are but it would be easy to find out since there are pictures of them on fb. Do you think I should tell my DD I know? I am very afraid for her because she has been sad for a few weeks and I never had to face something like that before..

Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yes, talk to her about it. She needs to have someone she can talk to about it. This can also be reported to the police. Stop it before it gets any further!
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 8:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i agree you shoudl report it. those kids can have their facebook accounts shut down by facebook if they are caught doing that. im pretty sure its within the terms of service agreement. contact facebook.
    talk to your daughter. these things are probably going on at school too.. intervene NOW.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 8:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I agree, definitely talk with her, I would also have her delete them as facebook friends.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Talk to your daughter ask her whats going on. Report the kids to the police and facebook. I wish you the best of luck and hope you get everything solved !
    jdbrown21

Answer by jdbrown21 at 8:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• REPORT IT! Report it to the school, Facebook, and the local cops.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:39 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Definitely talk to your daughter. However I don't know how your relationship is, but she might be embarrased to talk to you about it. I would report it to the school and FB. Definitely make sure she has proper privacy settings in place and see who she has as friends. This is why I am against kids on social sites. There will always be bullys, but kids are vulnerable and take it harder than adults. Poor girl. Sorry to hear that. Hope you guys work it out.
    berrysweetmamma

Answer by berrysweetmamma at 8:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I am going to report it, thank you. I was just unsure of how much I should do about it, but you're right, this is a police matter.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• That is so awful. Is there anyway these people can be blocked from her facebook? I just wonder if she is talking to anyone about this. Keeping this all bottled up inside is definetly not something she should be doing. I think you should sit down and talk to her about it. She needs to know that she can talk to you about anything. I also worry if any of these kids know her from school. Thankfully you saw this, and now can do something. That is absolutely awful. Please keep us all posted. I hope your daughter realizes that these kids have a major problems, and bullying is there only way to fit in, which is sad.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 8:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I know berrysweetmamma,
    I am against it too. We have had internet at home for 10 years but I just allowed her to creat a fb account 4 months ago because everyone was telling me how I was over protective- to be honest, now I think maybe that's one of the reasons she gets bullied. She's a beautiful girl, really, it's not just me. She models for a magazine and she had a perfect body and face and she's such a kind and loving kid. I guess she's not what kids nowadays consider "cool"..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Thanks Kellyjude, I will definitely talk to her. We have a great relationship and I don't understand why she didn't come to me..
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2010