Can someone explain this to me logically please...

Over the summer I developed a real love for garage sales....and hate. The problem is that people ask WAY too much for their old stuff. When I have a garage sale I truly ACTUALLY want to get rid of the stuff. (who wouldda knew, right?) So if someone offers me 1 cot pickin penny for something I take it, no matter what its "value is" which is just a made up number anyway. Its only worth what the customer wants to pay. When you bought it you got to pick out the color or style, you got a receipt, a warranty....etc. So selling it to "make up for your losses" is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. ITS USED!! Not worth 95% of what you paid for it! And if you bought it and didn't use it I agree its worth slightly more than used but not even close to what you paid for it. Because it sat in YOUR home and collected YOUR very precious dust( I assume is the reason for your insane prices) does not make it more valuable to the consumer. PLEASE someone explain this to me before my head explodes! Maybe this is not the case everywhere else but it is here and just to give you some ideas I saw 9 west used (not in good condition) shoes for $20 a pair, $40 for some used sheets (not sure what the thread count was but it had a hole in it) floral arrangement baskets (the ones you can get at walmart new for $5) for $30 each. Do you people have garage sales for the fun in draggin all your crap out, not selling anything, then packing it back up and putting it away just to try and do it all over again the next summer? You have an emotional attachment? No one cares if you are emotionally attached. If you are, don't try and sell it. I dont care if you are emotionally attached and wont compensate you monetarily for it! I could keep going but I think you got it....and if you dont you are probably one of those "people" I speak of!

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 8:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• clappingOMG YES! When I have sales,nothing is over $5. I want to sell it that day,not drag it all back in. The last few hours are $5 a bag. Whatever you can smush in there goes! I've seen some ridiculous prices. I just walk away shaking my head!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i am huge into rummage sales
    i know in less than a minute if things priced too high
    last thing i would do if i had time to set one up, is haul all the stuff out of storage, clean it up, price it, clean out garage, make signs, put it all out, spend a whole day out there and then have to haul it all back to storage because i asked too much money

imo...main goal inhaving a sale is to declutter
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Wow! Now I know why I do not do garage sales for either selling or buying!
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 8:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• There those who have garage sales by making a living from them. Go around garage sales and then resale at their own garage sale. They buy very cheap and sale at higher profit.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• LMAO idk where you live, but i have never been to a garage sale like that! i agree....it's crazy. but they are more prone to haggle at the end of the day...you could always try back later (with prices like that i'm sure it will still be there at the end of the day!). it wouldn't hurt anyway. but no, i'm with you....it's cheap prices at my yardsales too!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• No they don't care at the end of the day either! You would think, right? And some of them do it for 3 days in a row and still wont budge on their prices!
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I would never pay that much for used. people are crazy.
    If I had a yard sale I would price stuff to get rid of it.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 8:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I do just leave "SweetLuci"....duh! But I want to know why you people have a garage sale and don't want to actually sell anything????
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I see it in my neighborhood all the time, people here though make thier money that way, its all the stay at home moms with 7 kids. they try to sell a shirt for 5 dollars or a 1.50 per item of baby clothes. I go do garage sales in other communities
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 8:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I do know what you are saying & I agree, as I've had the same issue at times, but it goes both ways. I had a yard sale (don't have a garage) a couple of years ago & I had a brand new cat collar, still in the package, for sale for 10 cents and this woman comes along & wants to open the package to see if she'd like it as much out of the package. She didn't want to pay the lousy dime, she just wanted to open it to see if she'd like it. Ummm, no.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010