Why won't my heat stay on?

It's gas heat. It just keeps shutting off. I know the heat sensor is not right because it has to be turned up all the way to come on. It still doesn't stay on. It's been a while since I've had gas, so I am not familiar with it. Anyone else have this issue? Yes, I am planning on calling the landlord, but wasn't sure if there was something I could check myself...

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 8:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I agree, it sounds like the thermostat. My mom had this sam issue with her central air this past summer and it ended up being the thermostat had gone bad... she bought a new digital one for like $30 but since you rent it should be your landlords responsibility to fix it.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My husband is an HVAC (heating, ventilation & air conditioning) technician and said it sounds like it needs a new thermostat. He said you are better off calling your landlord to fix it because if you try and fix it yourself you could be charged if something else breaks. GL

jnsdrf

Answer by jnsdrf at 9:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It could also be something wrong with the pilot light, or with the fan. My mom's propane heater did the same thing and it was her fan and its motor, once we replaced it, the heater worked fine.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 9:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It could also be that the filter needs to be changed. That can make a HUGE difference. Your thermostat may be on the fritz as well. As unpretty as it looks......when I lived in an apt., I put plastic on my windows during the cold harsh winter months......just a thought. It saved me about $75/month on my gas bill.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Thermostat could be bad. Filter could need changing.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2010