How do I keep my dog out of the trash?

bama_mama

Asked by bama_mama at 1:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Pets

• Put the trash up out of reach-that's what I do with my dogs....
    sweetmissy_05

Answer by sweetmissy_05 at 1:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• A rock or locking clip on the trash can. Alaskans have to use them to keep bears out.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 1:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• if it is in the house~~~~~~~put the container undr the sink.
    If it is outside~~~~put a bungy cord over the lid
    adamandramona

Answer by adamandramona at 1:08 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• keep it out of reach (my female dog gets into used tampons - YUCK) so i just make sure that any garbage that "smells" will be out of reach and taken out often to not attract the dog to it.
    if this is a clever dog that opens up the door to under your sink to get at the garbage then buy a toddler lock and the dog wont be able any more.
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 1:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I had a constant problem with this for over a year. I had a very large trash can so one day I was fed up, and told the dog if it wanted in the trash I would just put her in there. So, (with a little wrestling) I put the dog in the empty trash can and told her that if she got in the trash I would just put her in the can and throw her away. I didnt hit her, just scolded and put her in. She has only gotten into the trash once since then and it has been 7 years.
    Anonymous

• Put the dog in the trash can! That's a great answer! LOL! My mom puts hers up on top of a counter or the washing machine.
    elwalters77

Answer by elwalters77 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• We always locked ours in a closet (the can not the dog! LOL!)
    Mimomof3boys

Answer by Mimomof3boys at 4:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• The make a bitter spray that sells at pet store, I believe it is all natural, usually will keep them off after you spray objects with it. I think its made out of lemons.
    Mother2oneboy

Answer by Mother2oneboy at 6:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• The next time you leave the house fold the bag over so that the trash is covered and sprinkle pepper on top of the bag, your choice, it will not hurt the dog, it will get in there nose or mouth and they will never do it again.... Believe me it works!! My mom has a problem with her dogs getting in the trash, they are small dogs so she just sits the trash can on the table before she leaves the house, or just go sit it in the bathroom and close the door!!
    mykidsmylife06

Answer by mykidsmylife06 at 10:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• next to impossible, either train them not to go in the room it is in (would take a lot of persistence) or get a heavy duty trash can with lid (stainless steel type @ walmart) their noses are so sensitive and it just smells to good to them. not only that but make sure you keep the bathroom trash in a cabinet or get another heavy duty trash can for there to, they will eat the most horrid things and they do not digest well.
    bayleighsmom

Answer by bayleighsmom at 9:27 AM on Jun. 19, 2008