how can i get my house looking cleaner?

my house is overwhelmingly cluttered and just a mess, i don't want to live like this anymore, where to start? should i just pick a room and stay there til done? there is so much to do i get overwhelmed and just don't do anything. any ideas?

driftwood

Asked by driftwood at 7:54 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Home & Garden

• There is a good web site you might want to look in to it is www.Flylady.com you might want to check it out. there are also a CEO group on here which is really good and it helps you get motivated sometimes you can clean together with other people on here. if you would like it is www.cafemom.com/group/CEOs Its pretty good i like it.
    alangel17

Answer by alangel17 at 9:14 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I agree with starting in one room. Bring in a laundry basket (or two or three) and put all the stuff from that room in it that doesn't belong there...that can become the next room's problem. Stay in one room til it's clean and organized and everything has a "home"...then move onto the next one. Do one room a day starting with the most visible and it will keep you motivated.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:22 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Yea I'd say get yourself some hanging bins, a cabinet for each room that has clutter and spend 15 minutes a day making a toss pile and putting the rest away. Theres a site on yahoo called freecycle in most states if you don't want to toss alot of stuff and you'd rather have someone else get some use out of it. Might be motivating to know someone might get the things they really need in time for the holidays!
    Allysmom11

Answer by Allysmom11 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• Have you ever watched that clean house show? I looooove it. They make my house feel clean ;) Anyway -- they make three piles -- keep, sell/donate, toss! And the goal is to give equally to each. I would start with one room. That will give you a sense of accomplishment as you finish it. Maybe recruit a friend that will help you be heartless. Sometimes when you look at stuff all day long you don't realize how much "crap" you're holding on to for no reason.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 9:17 PM on Nov. 10, 2008