did anyone grow up not knowing who their mother was? how were u affected by it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Relationships

• I was adopted at 11 weeks old so never knew my bio parents at all. My life growing up was great, a totally normal upbringing and yes I knew I was adopted before I even understood the meaning. Even after all of this, lots of love, no wanting for anything I still had this feeling of wanting to know who my bio parents were. Why was I adopted? What went wrong? Do I have other siblings? Do they have any health issues? the questions go on and on. It's very difficult to explain, its a longing to know where you come from.

I was watching the film Mama Mia the other day. Here is a quote.
    Sophie: It's about knowing who I am and-and I wanted to get married knowing who I am!
    Sky: That doesn't come from finding your father. That comes from finding yourself.

I found that I could not go forward without knowing where I came from. Its a part of me and when it was missing there was a feeling of loneliness. To find myself I had to find my past
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 9:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My mother left me and my father when I was 4. She would pop up every 10 yrs make a few promises and leave again. I finally found her when I was 23 and went to meet her and my 2 half sisters. I always wondered about her. I needed to have answers to alot of questions I had actually i needed closer.

I have issues getting close to people, I guess you would call it abandonment issues. I also was so worried when I was 19 and a new mother that I would be like she was an when things got rough I wouldnt be able to handle it and want to leave like she did. I actually cried many of nights and prayed that I wouldnt be her.

When I met her I got closer and we did talk for awhile but 6 yrs ago I quit talkign to her. I just recently started communicating with her again on facebook.
    Hope this answered your question.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 9:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I GREW UP WITHOUT A FATHER HE LEFT WHEN I WAS 2
    19angie74

Answer by 19angie74 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Our children are adopted two of them had contact (open adoptions) with their bio moms- one was very good, one not so good, of those two one is still in contact with bio mom the other is no longer interested in contact. Our oldest son found his bio family when he turned 18, we helped him track them down and he is in regular contact with some of them. Our daughter has met her bio mother and bio brother but refuses to have contact with them because they are morally bankrupt. Once they turned 18 we gave them the options and they have made their decisions, we respect those decisions.

higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 11:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I grew up not knowing that my step-dad wasn't my real dad. When my mom thought I was old enough to understand, she told me I had a different father.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010