This stems from a recent answer I read here.

What would you consider equal and just why should everyone be equal?

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We all start with a clean, blank slate. What we write on it is up to us.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:31 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I thought we already were "equal". We all start out with the gift of our life...after that it is a matter or choices.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I believe that all human beings (whether born in America or not) have equal rights, but those rights are not always equally recognized. Some governments violate the inherent rights of mankind, while others play up the rights of a group over another. (which is ironic because there is no such thing as group rights).

I believe that we all have *should* have an equal opportunity to live life how we choose, but HOW we attain that life is not equal and we must overcome our individual hardships.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 9:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Equal - as human beings we are all equal. Equal - as in what we get from work, then no, we are not all equal. I don't get to have what my niece is getting ready to be able to have with her BA from Vassar and her brand spanking new PhD from Duke University. Her hard work and dedication will enable her to have a much higher salary than my MaEd in education and working for the State of NC will give me. In that respect, we are not equal. That is ok. If I wanted what a PhD gets, I should have continued to get mine. Then, we would be equal.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• This is about equal opportunity. That right encompasses everything necessary to be equal under the law. It is simple minded to think everyone is "equal"...equal as to what...income redistribution comes immediately to mind. Everyone has the "right" to expect equal opportunity as our Founding Fathers so wisely expressed. Those more ambitious move farther ahead...those less so, remain behind. This promotes excellence and is why we love our country. You are able to reach your comfort zone without government coercion.
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 11:15 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I once read that men and women are equal but not equivalent. There are some things that men can do that I can't; there are some things I can do that men can't. I am not as physically strong or physically talented as some others. But I am a human being, as we all are, and as such I have the same rights and responsibilities as a human being. I have the right to be treated fairly, for example, and I have the responsibility to treat others fairly.
    tinamatt

Answer by tinamatt at 7:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:18 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• JMHO
    All people are not equal. there are those who have and those who have not. and that includes everything not just money.
    however, a person should treat another just as he would treat anyone, knowing the whole time that they are indeed not equal.
    From the time that children are toddlers, they size each other up and realize that all are not equal.
    When it comes to income disparity however, people should not be equal. when they are equal economies fail. Income disparity is what caused the US to become great, most people will never understand how or why that is true. and searching for this crazy utopian society of everyone being equal is just a goal in someone's mind-it will never happen.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• There is only one race - the human race. And in my opinion, all people were created equally & should be treated as such.

The above is my siggy. It is my stance on equality. But I do fully agree with the PP, it starts at birth, and then becomes a matter of choices.

love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 10:44 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• What annabarred said, thank you, annab… :o)
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010