I feel like a loser at 27 because I dont have a car

It's not like I dont want to have a car/. I have a kid I NEED a car. The state of MI has a stupid thing called MI responsibility fee. If you have points on your record (driving tickets, DUI's, no liscense, no registration, driving on suspended, and other infractions) they can charge you additional fees. If you fail to pay they suspend your liscence and you must pay the fee plus a reinstatement fee to get your liscense back. They can go far back as they want. The governer (Jennifer grandholm) never let the public decide on it. It went straight into action.

Messed up thign if you get a ticket in the city of Detroit you are exempt from it - for some reason. but by me still having one more fee to pay and not making a lot it slows me down from getting a car. I cant drive a car on suspended now with a kid. I swear it's a trap no other state has it. The purpose of it was to get the money to fix the roads.......

Either way I'm working on clearing my record and THEN being able to buy, rent, or drive a car. But yeah at 27 w a kid I feel like a loser because I dont have a drivers liscense. I feel like a kid.

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 9:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• i know alot of people who live in big cities and have never gotten a liscence or even learned how to drive a car. it's not a big deal if there's public transportation or you can walk to where you need to go
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Sorry, but you have no business having a car if your license has been suspended.
    Anonymous

• You wouldn't believe how many people your age don't have a car or a drivers license. I used to know this chick that was like 38 and she didn't have a car nor did she know how to drive lol.

iluvmykidsxoxo

Answer by iluvmykidsxoxo at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I lived in Michigan all my life and I KNOW the BS that is the driver's responsibility fee. It's a freakin joke. I know, I've had to deal with it myself. I feel for you. You can do payments though, which is nice. Go that route if you have to. Good luck.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 9:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'm 34 and have 5 kids and don't have a car of my own. My husband has a car but I refuse to drive it because it's not legally registered (it still has PA plates on it that expired in 08 and we now live in WA after spending the last 3 years in IL). I refuse to be the one that gets a ticket for it and he just kept putting off fixing it. Then a couple months ago he finally decided to go get the plates updated only to find out we can't until our payments are brought up to date (we got behind when we moved cross country...messed our finances for months).
    So, here I am at the mercy of my husband to go anywhere farther than a few miles from our house (and there really isn't much here). It sucks. Over the summer he lived in another state so I had to take the bus everywhere (in Chicago) and I was 8-9 months pregnant. That was fun.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:32 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• To the chick talking stuff....when it got suspended I wasnt even driving. they can go back on ANYBODY record and bill them. So if something happen 5 years ago they can charge you for it. So :P to your comment.

@nanixh yes I hate it. I realized to (kinda forgot) I live on a university campus and parking is LIMITEd. Like for 5 apartment buildings there are only 3 spots available..lol Seriously. There is metered parking but who wants to pay an arm and leg?I do make use of the shuttles and jitney (cheap cab and walk. I think when I move to the suburbs I will need a car more but I still know how to get around. I dont let a car get me...just when friend asked me it caught me off guard.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Oh man i did the bus at 8 - 9 months pregnant...I hated it because my fear of falling and hurting myself. Yeah I did drive illegally when it was just me but I can not put my kid at thst stupid risk. I would go to jail and cps would be called and I do not want that!
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 9:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yikes! Iam in MI too and I really wonder if they are using that $$ to fix the roads??? dont think so! And the public trans in detroit stinks! Hopefully you get things worked out to get your license restored Are you down near the Wayne State Campus?
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 9:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'm so sorry. It's tough being without a car. But I don't think that makes you a loser. Lots of people don't have cars. And I know it makes going to the grocery store and running every day errands a lot harder, but it can be done.

Don't feel like a loser!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:16 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• well it looks like a vicous circle....you cant really get a car without your license anyways...pay your fees,make payments if you have too...get the license reinstated,make sure you can afford your insurance too before you go shopping for a car....you will survive a little longer without wheels if you have to...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2010