why is the ocean still blue when the sky is grey and cloudy if the sky gives the ocean its blue color?

confused

maya123

Asked by maya123 at 9:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Probably for the same reason that you can get sunburned when it's cloudy...just a guess.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I believe the water is the bluest when the water is the deepest, I think that's right, so the clouds don't really play a part in the waters color. Hopefully someone else will know the exact answer.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I usually find the ocean to be brown or grey when it's completely overcast.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 9:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i haven't found that to be the case either....i agree with annq.......it looks grey to me too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I'm swaying toward the theory of what color is a diamond when it's cast upon a black, blue, brown , green backdrop? Or if the lighting is a bluish, or more yellowish tinge light in the room.
    also what color is a Svorovfsky crystal, or a man made diamond, marque cut, cushion cut, and princess cut etc. ?
    so in an ocean wave we see light to dark green, true blues, turquoise's, and whites.
    Sorry don't know of spelling of the type of crystal above.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 9:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• The sky doesn't give the ocean its blue color. The water absorbs the red in sunlight and you see the blue.

http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/oceanblue.html

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2010