Have you ever made a spontaneous purchase and then regretted it?

I made a very spontaneous purchase tonight. I had checked our bank account a few days ago and we had a good bit in there. I have not spent any money since looking. Well tonight after making the purchase, I checked our account and there was a lot less than I had thought there would be. I called about canceling the transaction and they said it would take 30-40 days before I could get my money back. I feel like an idiot. I know better than to do things like this. UGH! Has anyone else made a spontaneous purchase and then regretted it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Money & Work

• if you purchased with a credit card, you have three days to cancel.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 9:23 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yup, it is called buyers remorse.
    Noosa

Answer by Noosa at 9:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I purchased it with a debit card and I have already called my bank to see if I could cancel it but they said since it is already in "pending transactions" they can't do it.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes I have done that! I hate that feeling.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 10:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• yeah i have and its not a good feeling
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 3:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• When you get the item, return it. But yes, I have had that feeling before.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I don't understand the 30-40 day thing. That sounds shady to me. Not even a check takes THAT long to clear. I'd return the item with delivery confirmation and insurance---then take that post office receipt and a copy of the purchase transaction back to the bank and ask that the charge be reversed. I don't know if that will work (and they might charge a bank fee) but you can ask. Sorry this happened ---and YES it has happened to me. I've never had to wait that long for a return to be processed, though.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 12:28 PM on Dec. 31, 2010