7 months old and NOT eating...

OKay, my 7 month old DD has been on solids since she was 4 months. These past two weeks she's been teething and refuses her baby foods - and she used to eat a full jar mixed with cereal, then a bottle of formula per sitting!!! She still takes 4 ounces of cereal and formula every couple of hours- bottle only (DON'T JUDGE!), and she'll take cookies, crackers and fries from us to teeth on, but she's refusing the spoon. Also, I mentioned she's teething (working on 2 bottom teeth at the same time), not sure if that helps or not. My question is, IS THIS NORMAL???? How can I get her back into the routine of her daily baby foods again??!?!??!!!??? This kinda scares me, and you might think I'm crazy, but you seriously have not seen this child eat.

shaysmommy5810

Asked by shaysmommy5810 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you using a plastic spoon? Metal might be irritating her. She also might just have a weird taste in her mouth due to the teething. I wouldn't push it. give her lots of fluids at room temp (too hot or too cold might be annoying to her) and just give it time. appetites change. Try some different foods as well.
    charlottej

Answer by charlottej at 9:35 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Although I strongly disagree with the whole cereal in the bottle thing, I'm not judging or bashing, but would like to ask you a question. Do you think that she's refusing spoon in hopes that you will then feed her all meals via bottle? Has she ever taken the spoon in the past? Another idea is that she's getting older and trying to be more independent, and does not want to be FED, but would rather try and spoon feed or self feed herself.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Honestly, the majority of her nutrition comes from her formula. You started solids very early and even now they are unnecessary for her. No matter the type of spoon you use......she just may not want solids because her gums hurt. If she only wants formula, then that is absolutely fine..............she doesn't need anything else. Yes it is normal. When your throat hurts....you change what you want to eat also, right? Well, it's the same. Don't worry, she's fine. Her gums are probably just inflamed and super uncomfortable, so bottles are easiest on her mouth and also the most comforting.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My dd went off her food when she was teething. We just upped the milk a bit and let her eat what she wanted. The food she is teething on is a good thing and I personally would not be worried about it unless it carried on after the teething.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 9:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Oh, yeah. I had no trouble getting her to the spoon, she loved the spoon (it was a plastic). And, if we go out to eat, she'll still eat off my spoon (mashed potatoes). I don't want to push her, she gets frustrated, and it seems like anymore she gets mad like she did in the beginning when she couldn't understand the pause between bites. She still reaches for the spoon and tries to feed herself, but typically she wants the control, and I don't like handing her the mushy foods because she sometimes gets too excited with it and throws it everywhere, and I can only bathe my 150 lb Labrador so many times, lol! I'll definitely try letting her do it with the spoon on her own. I appreciate all the advice! Thanks so much!
    shaysmommy5810

Comment by shaysmommy5810 (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Also, 4 months old is the perfect time to introduce solids, I triple checked with her pediatrician and he's the one who suggested it. Most babies start at this age, even WIC suggested it.
    shaysmommy5810

Comment by shaysmommy5810 (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Actually, many suggest waiting until at least 6 months.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• i was told to wait til about 9-12 months to feed solids. the new thing to do if your breast feeding i guess. i started at about 8 half months. i would just let her continue to do what she is doing. i think this is totally normal.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:08 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• But "many" do not care for MY child. Plus, I was a child who started solids at 1 month old. My brothers both started their solids when they came home from the hospital....amazingly enough we're all three still alive and thriving. None of us have any kind of eating disorder, both my brother are well muscled toned boys. I myself only weigh in at about 110 lbs, had no trouble losing baby fat. My diet choices are healthy, and I never had eating issues as a child. What YOUR child's doctor says goes for YOUR child, and what MY kid's pediatrician says goes for her. Any journalistic doctor's point of view is taken from the average of patients. My child's doctor's exact words were "Wait til she's 4 months old, then have at it starting with the fruits and veggies." And he's been a pediatrician longer than I have been alive - and please don't lecture about "older generations being wrong", if they're so wrong, how are still alive?
    shaysmommy5810

Comment by shaysmommy5810 (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Well, just because you survived doesn't mean that it was the best thing for you. I was fed solids very early also, and I have GERD. They have the rest of their lives to eat solid foods. I don't understand the need to rush. Get mad at me and vote me down for speaking the truth.

Oh and I don't depend on a doctor to tell me how to feed my child. They are medical doctors, NOT nutritionists. I don't ask a masseuse about my teeth, would you?

Your defensiveness shows that you're a bit insecure about your choices as I did not insult in any way, yet you are SUPER defensive.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 30, 2010