How can i make it easier for myself to go back to work & leave my child in daycare?

On the 1st of December i have to go back to work after having my son & being at home with him for 10 weeks - and I am DREADING IT!!!!
I have a good care giver for him that i know & trust but i want to be with my son all day everyday!!!! Only problem is I have to work - can't afford to be a stay at home mama :(
I just feel like i will drop him off in the morning, go to work, pick him up, go home make dinner, give him a bath then put him to bed and not have much time to spend together... any suggestions????

MamaInky

Asked by MamaInky at 7:58 PM on Nov. 10, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have special play times set up in the morning, when most babies are at their happiest anyway. That way he will have quality time with you each day before all it all begins. Even the morning car ride can become sing song time. Take him to the care giver a few times and stay, just to get him and you used to the idea. And leave him for a few half days before you have to start work, for the same reason. Also make meal time, bath time, ad bed time quality bonding moments as well. Talk to him while feeding him, get in the tub too! (or at least splash and play) and read him a story or sing a special song. All the little routines you set into place will make him feel safe and comfortable with all the changes. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Cris1128

Answer by Cris1128 at 10:05 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I was a SAHM for 7 years. Only went back to work a little over a year ago. It doesn't get any easier when they get older.

I'm glad you have a good care giver. My best advice is to kiss your baby, drop him off with the caregiver and not think anything else about it. Think about your day at work. Don't let guilt get you.

When you get home and on weekends, spend as much time with him as you can.
    mwebb

Answer by mwebb at 8:38 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• I went back to work when my son was 8 weeks old, and I worked until he was 4 months old. I finally couldn't take it anymore, and I was honestly making so little money, that it was just about costing us money for me to work. We sold my car (we are now a 1 vehicle family), and that's how we afford for me to stay at home. The best advice I have for you, if you're going back to work, is to make every moment count. If the baby is awake in the mornings when you're doing your hair & makeup, etc., put him in his swing or bouncy seat and let him "watch" you get ready. See if there is any way that you can go in an hour later or get off an hour earlier if you skip lunch. That would at least give you an extra hour a day with the baby. Honestly, it's going to be difficult, and you're going to miss him like crazy, but it gets easier. It definitely helps that you are comfortable with the person who will be keeping him. Good luck!!!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 9:06 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• In all honesty, it is going to be the hardest and worst day of your life. I cried and was upset for a while (I didn't speak to my husband for 2 wks because I blamed him for me having to go back to work). Eventually (months later) I am now more comfortable with the arrangement. I am lucky that my center also has a daycare. I go on my lunch and spend time with him, and I run down the hall on my breaks or when I have a spare minute and check on him. My evenings sound like what you mentioned above and you just have to try to make the most out of each minute. Try to wait till he is asleep to eat, or have supper ready to just heat up so you can have more play time. Good Luck, ...I'm here if you want to talk later when you go back to work (it helps to vent).
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:02 PM on Nov. 10, 2008

• This is a tough one because we live in a two income society, we also cannot make it on one salary and it does not get easier just know that you are doing the best you can for your family and try to treasure the time you do get with your little one.
    lesliebabl

Answer by lesliebabl at 11:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2008