when did you introduce your kids to nuts

I'm going to ask the boys peditrician when we see him in janurary but im curious as to when you let your kids have nuts.
my twins are 15 months, almost 16.
I'm wondering mostly about hazelnuts... because I love nutella and I know they will too, I'm just wondering when it is ok to introduce it, or other nuts.

when did you guys do it?

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 9:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• My kids were all well over the age of 2 before we introduced nuts.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think they where over a year old. I never held nuts back out of their diet. But my kids are 32 and 26 too. Back before this wait tell 2 thing.

Answer by louise2 at 9:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• From: http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/infant/startingsolids.html

Foods to avoid until your infant is at least a year old include cow's milk, citrus fruits and juices, and wheat and egg whites until he is two. Also, avoid giving peanuts (as smooth peanut butter), fish and shellfish until your child is at least three years old. Whole peanuts and tree nuts should be avoided until your child is four because of the choke hazard.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My kids probably had peanut butter or something with nuts in it at a young age. It's hard to eat several things with there being some trace of some nut in it. However, for actual nuts, they did not have an actual nut until they were old enough to handle eating one with out choking.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• my son was over 2 and my daughter was accidently introduced to peanuts at 11 months and had an anaphylactic reaction. If you do not have food allergies in your family I am pretty sure it is recommended to wait until at least 2. We do not have any food allergies in our family so were completely caught off guard that my daughter was so severly allergic. Just make sure you watch for any signs of a reaction the first few times because if there is an allergy a reaction can be something as little as a slight rash or runny poo at first and can get worse at the next introduction.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I've read a lot of conflicting information about when to introduce some of the more allergenic foods. Our pediatrician says 2, I think. My husband does have food allergies, too. The latest research I've read about says that delaying doesn't have any affect whether they will be allergic or not. So what I do is if I want to introduce something like peanut butter or a food that my husband is allergic to, then I do it on a weekday during normal working hours - usually lunch. That way if she has a reaction, the doctor's office is open and we can get in or at the least we can talk to a nurse right away. And I don't give her a full meal. I don't start out with a PB sandwich. I'll give her a bite or two of my PB sandwich and then another day give more.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:12 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I didn't give my son nuts until after 1, but soon found out that his grandma had been giving him PB sandwiches for a while...I hate not being with my son 24/7...I don't feel like I have any control of what people do with him...
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 2:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The latest recommendation is around 6 months. There is no evidence waiting reduces the risk of allergy. It may increase the risk of allergy.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Our pediatrician said not to give our son nuts until he was 2, so we waited.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 1:55 PM on Dec. 31, 2010