• In the Spotlight:

4 year old waking up at night....HELP

For the last few weeks, our almost 4 year old has been waking up around 2:00 every morning. At first, he would just cry but not really be awake. Now, he wakes fully and will not go back to sleep. He says he either wants me or is scared. I don't know how to get him back to sleep. I'm soooo tired. The easiest thing to do is let him sleep with us. Which I have 3-4 times. I've tried leaving a lamp on in his room...spraying monster spray...now he has a light that looks like a fish aquarium. We also have a 4 month old...so it feels like we are up all night long!!!!!

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 10:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Does he still take a nap during the day?
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 10:10 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My son started doing that not long ago. Recently, we started giving him a small snack just before bed, and it seems to have helped.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 10:11 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• This could be if he is still napping during the day or he is getting hungry or just because he knows that you are getting up with a younger sibling.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• When he is home he naps during the day...usually 2 hours. If he's at preschool he goes to the nap room, but rarely falls asleep. He didn't have a nap yesterday and was up lastnight. We have a pretty set routine....Bath, story in bed, bedtime We usually start the story around 8:00....He's not a big eater, so I didn't think about him getting hungry. I'll try a snack before bedtime.
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 10:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• try a radio. mine likes the noise because when he was younger he had noise when he got transitioned to his own room. but he hasnt had it in awhile but we moved to our new apt so we gave it back to help with the transition. it helps but he now has to have it to sleep. maybe it will change later. idk try to use some noise.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 11:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Have you tried a sticker chart? Positive re-inforcement with stickers? He gets a sticker for every night he stays in his bed all night. When he gets three stickers he gets a prize - examples: alone time with mommy or daddy, movie night, $1 store item, special food treat, trip to the zoo/library/playground/playdate, etc As the weeks go on, extend the time to 4 stickers, then 5 stickers. You can make it that the stickers are 3 nights in a row, or 3 nights in a week, or what ever you think he is capable of doing. You can make it that he gets a special treat every day that he sleeps in his bed - what ever works for you, your child and your budget.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 3:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think I'm going to try the sticker chart. We used a sticker chart for having accidents at preschool. It worked wonders! He loved it! Thanks for the help. Last night was better...He didn't wake until 6AM.....then he wanted to PLAY!!!!
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 10:27 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Have him pick out a night light and stuffed animal or toy of HIS choice. Something that will help him feel safe and secure. My Lil Sis is 4 and we went through the same thing when she was 3. Letting her choose a stuffed animal was good for her. We told her to pick out one that will help guard her at night. We also pray as a family each night before bed and then Mum and I usually stop in before we go to bed and kiss her goodnight. If you are Christian, praying helps too. If not try the stuffed animal and night light
    m.riley

Answer by m.riley at 11:29 AM on Jan. 1, 2011