Cereal and milk for a toddler...??

My 2.5 year old (30 months old) doesn't quite get the concept of eating cereal with milk in a bowl. How did you get your young kids to eat it? It would make breakfast so much simpler.

How did you get your kids to eat oatmeal and cream of wheat?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

• Try demonstrating it yourself. "Watch mommy eat her Cheerios...Now you try."
    Anonymous

• dd has never liked cream of wheat and oatmeal is one of those ... I really need to be craving it to eat it. General cereal though she eats without milk because she hates soggy cereal and the milk went in a sippy cup at 2.5 years old. She still does the same thing today except the milk now goes in a normal cup.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:20 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Breakfast is anything you want it to be. If your child has a better time with dry cereal and a sippy of milk, then just do that. It sounds like your child just needs practice with using utensils. My four year old will ask for oatmeal "not cooked". I'll just give her a bowl of dry oatmeal. She doesn't always request it dry but when she does, I oblige. It's no biggie.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 10:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Just keep giving it to them. I sprinkle cinnamon on everything & that helps. My DD LOVES oatmeal & cereal. MY DS likes it too but is younger but eats it.
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• MumaSue, do you think and acceptable breakfast option is a bowl of cereal paired with a sippy of milk, and maybe some fruit on the side? I'm trying to get ideas...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think the fruit/cereal combo is a great Idea. My son is 3 and I still only put a small amount of milk in the bowl when he asks for it. He does like oatmeal, sometimes eating 2 bowls! but I am just lucky that he likes it.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It completely depends on the choice of cereal you provide. Cocoa puffs...........ehhh, not great. However, there are very nutritional cereals and oatmeals out there. I would suggest only adding enough milk cover the bottom of the bowl until your little one gets better at it. I have my daughter's little table in the corner and I have a plastic sheet underneath. It protects the carpet and makes clean up so much easier. It's also a very thick plastic, so she doesn't trip over it.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Fruit is also great..........and yogurt. Does your little one like yogurt? You can cut up fruit and throw it in the yogurt. My daughter also loves a bagel with cream cheese. I only buy bread items without HFCS and whole wheat....she loves it. There are so many options. Do you have a picky one? (mine can be the PICKIEST!)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• It's either a personal preference or not comfortable with utensils. I don't want cereal with milk to be a hassle, so it's separate. He did eat 3 bowls of cereal with about 1/4" of milk in the bottom with a spoon recently, but it was over 6 days' time and hasn't happened since. He's almost 4. So, I'd go with the flow.

Just to add, don't worry so much about what is "breakfast", "lunch", and "dinner", and just try to think of what he averages in the course of the day. Such as the dry cereal and sippy of milk, and fruit later for a snack. Some kids just don't eat a lot at one time. Good luck.

PS-DS likes the fruit flavors of instant oatmeal (apple, peach, banana, strawberry, etc.) with a litle milk. Just keep offering and don't force it. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:40 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We just sit our DD (22 months) in a chair and let her have at it. If she spills/drops some, no biggie. We just wipe up whatever mess she made when she's done. Sometimes she likes to eat it dry too, so then we just put it in a zip lock bag and let her eat it while she watches morning cartoons. (Our kiddos ONLY get Cheerios or Raisin Bran). And as far as getting them to eat oatmeal, there was no challenge. The LOVE it!
    HaydensMama07

Answer by HaydensMama07 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 30, 2010