Does anyone know about Fibromyalgia?

Was dignosed yesterday with it. I know I can read the on-line definations, but I want first hand experience. What can I do to adapt and maintain a sense of a somewhat normal lifestyle? What are you doing for pain?

WalknWithGod

Asked by WalknWithGod at 10:18 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Health

• I was dx about a year ago now, and I also have Psoriatic arthritis. go to mdjunction.com and join the fibromyalgia support group, it's a great resource of support and venting with other who share the dx.

The most important things is trying to keep up activity even though its hard at times. I don't really get anything for pain (I have a dr. that won't give it out) but others are given pain meds. I found a great bath salt from Kmart that helps with my muscle pains and I am on muscle relaxers for spasms.

I am also in physical therapy and see a chiropractor which both help my fibro and arthritis.

good luck
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I also have fibro./chronic pain. It's not easy. I try to take it easy on bad days and do what I can on good days. It's hard for me right now because the cold weather doesn't help! I decided not to take any meds for it right now except for Motrin when I need it.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 10:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My mom has it. She tries very hard to manage the pain and live in spite of it. She always says that rest and exercise are the BEST things for it. Rest is hard, because the pain can keep her awake. The exercise can hurt but in the long wrong, she always feels SO much better. I think there are some groups here on cafemom. Just do a search for it!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I was diagnosed almost 9 years ago. Some days are better than others. I changed my eating habits and I stay as active as possible mentally and physically. Sleep has been a key in that I have to get a minimum of 7 to 8 hours good sleep in order to feel the best. Over the past nine years I have been able to cut my medication in half for this disease, however, not everyone's case is the same. One of the hardest things has been for my teenage son who has a hard time understanding how much more it hurts when he's joking an he pokes me or bumps me with his fist (like when they see a slug bug vehicle). He understands just fine that he shouldn't hit me or women and does not out right hit me. But all the kids understand that sometimes I just hurt and sometimes things just hurt a lot more than normal when something happens. It is an adjustment for everyone in the family when someone is trying to accommodate this disease.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Also, I do not drink any alcohol anymore. You learn to recognize signals of stress and signs of illness. Might sound strange but it is a lot easier to take care of yourself so that you do not get sick than it is to get over being sick while you have fibromyalgia. Also, be prepared for doing anything new that will use muscles not normally used. I go for doing anything but I have to be careful not to over due it. I think being diagnosed with fibromyalgia really opened my eyes to things that I could do to be a healthier person even though I have the disease. I also have asthma and I used to get really bad migranes. My asthma will probably never go away and has not improved but I have been able to lesson my migranes. Now if I could only figure out how to regulate the weather so that it wouldn't trigger a bad sinus headache I would be set. Good luck with your fibromyalgia. I wish you well in the New Year.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have a couple of friends that have it. I would take a holistic approach with herbs, diet modification, and natural care.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Good Luck. I had a patient with it!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2010