when you help your child (6-7yr olds) with their homework...

if they come to the part of their homework where they have to write stuff down, like a journal or something, do you help them, and make sure their spelling is all right...or do you let them do it themselves and have everything spelled like totally waaay off, but yet you can still SOMEWHAT tell what they are TRYING to say..

alexis_06

Asked by alexis_06 at 10:19 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't do my kids homework for them. The teacher NEEDS to see their own work in their own handwriting. She/he needs to know what they are doing right and wrong. If the teacher needs to tweak the lesson because most of the kids didn't get it the only way they will know is by seeing the childs true work. If my son needs/wants to spell something right I only help him by teaching him how to use a dictionary and sounding out the word as best he can
    it doesn't help the child to do the work for them or to 'help' them. I work with a gal who is realizing that just now. from grades 1-8 her son was sooooo smart (because she did most of his work or helped him a lot) now that he is in 9th grade he is no longer on the high (or even regular) honor roll. his grades are suffering because he didn't do most of his own work in the early years.
    Its fine to answer questions
    but try to let the work (good or bad) be that of the child
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 7:54 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I have my son try to sound out words that he doesnt know how to spell. I don't make a huge deal about mispelled words as long as he has made an effort. I do read through it after he is finished so I have an idea of the words that he is having trouble with and know what we need to work on.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• If she has to write anything down she always checks with me anyway. I have a very self conscious girl who needs to know she is on the right track all the time and if anything is wrong I will ask her about any spelling rules she has learned recently. She will correct herself but if she wants to write something she does not know how to spell I will get her to work it out and will help her if she is really struggling or getting frustrated. I also write little messages on her homework for her teacher anyway so would give feedback.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• We homeschool. If I see something is spelled wrong, unless the subject is SPELLING, I don't point it out until the end...then he has to right it several times the next day or so. I have turned off spellcheck on his computer so I know what words he spells wrong and we'll correct it later.

I would point out the words and have him write misspelled words correctly on the bottom or back if he went to PS I think. This way the teacher can see where he actually is in terms of level, but you have a chance for him to see what is correct.
    Anonymous

• I let them do it all themselves. I don't even check the work. I have a hard enough time getting them to do it at all. The teachers will then know what they still need to work on at school.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• that all depends on if the teacher wants them to sound out the words all on their own, if not I always help with spelling
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 12:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• What is best for them is to sound it out, it will help them to figure it out in the long run. Just spelling it for them won't do much of anything. You can always check it and see what he needs to work on - and then work on those skills separately. It really doesn't help to have you do the work for him.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 8:39 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• We used to help our daughter but the teacher suggested we let her do it on her own, so that the teacher can see where she is weak or where she has difficulties and it has been great we can see improvements up to now.
    Alycyaz

Answer by Alycyaz at 9:30 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I would always look over it to see if there are any glaring errors that they can help see on their own.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:20 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• If I saw that my child misspelled something, I would either have them look up the correct spelling or help them fix their mistakes so they learn from them as they are making them. Not all homework is examined for content all the time and some things will get over looked sometimes.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010