Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

I think my baby has an allergy, what should I do?!?!

I gave my 18 month old a peanut butter cup, and about 20 min later I noticed when he would laugh his voice was kind of scratchy. Then I put him to go to sleep and he would cough every now and then. After an hour, I brought him out cause he was coughing and his ears where red( idk if he was scratching them or what) and his eyes were a little red(and idk if it was cuz he was crying a little bit or if its an allergy). So I gave him a little bit of benedryl and I put him back in his room and he hasnt coughed but it has me kind of worried...

Me and my husband dont have allergies, but my son does have ezcema. could it be maybe the candy got stuck in his throat??

Any advice would be appreciated...

Answer Question
 
Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (8)
  • Can you have your Dr paged?
    genagina

    Answer by genagina at 10:26 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • I;d contact her Dr ...
    Things like peanut butter, sea food etc should not be given until 3 years old specifically because of possible allergies.
    MumaSue

    Answer by MumaSue at 10:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • you should take him to the Er the benadryl was a great idea but it will wear off and if that happens in the middle of the night he could close his airway from the allergy swelling which is why they say no peanut butter until age2-- they will mostlikely put him on a steroid and watch him for a few hours but I wouldnt mess around with a true peanut allergy even if it was just a potential
    MELRN

    Answer by MELRN at 10:36 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • Actually, peanut butter can be given once they reach 1 year old. However, the first reaction is a WARNING and the second can be fatal! Avoid peanut products and schedule an appointment with an allergist. Hopefully, it was just some irritation from something else, but peanut allergies are not something to be taken lightly. I thank the high heavens that my daughter doesn't have peanut allergies or any food allergies that we are aware of and my heart hurts for those that do.

    I hope it's nothing. Best wishes.
    BridgetC140

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • Yes, I rechecked and they say without a history of allergies in your family, then you can introduce pb at 1 year. However, if there are food allergies in your family, then you should wait until at least 3 years old to introduce allergenic type foods.

    So don't feel bad. Just be proactive. Again, hopefully it's nothing.
    BridgetC140

    Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • HI. It could be a reaction to the peanut. My daughter has this. She is 4 & has to be retested b4 she starts Kindergarten to see if it went away or in fact she will forever be allergic to peanuts & tree nuts. I would take your child to get tested right away for peanut/tree nuts allergy. The coughing is a sign of the throat closing a little. I gave my daughter a bite of my bagel with peanut butter on it like the size of a dime & within 15 min. she started to get all blotchy red on her face and we took her to emergency right away & were told to watch for coughing or talking funny because the tongue can swell up also. We have to watch everything we give her as right now for you is a crucial age. This is my experience. My son is 19 months and I treat him as if he has this also until he is a little older. The Dr. said do not expose them to anything. I hope it does pass & she out grows it. Take your child for testing & GL.
    sarasmommy777

    Answer by sarasmommy777 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

  • Actually, the latest recommendations are you can give peanuts at around 6 months in families without peanut allergy. I just checked on it a couple of days ago. There is some evidence that giving peanuts earlier may prevent allergy. There is no scientific evidence that waiting a year or two prevents allergy, some allergists recommend it because it is easier to take care of an older sick child. Medicine is slowing switching to evidence based (scientific rather than opinion) practice. It doesn't sound like allergy but if you want to be safe you and your husband could take turns staying up all night watching the baby. That is probably what I would do. My 2 year old grandson is allergic to peanut butter. Allergists do skin and blood tests. We have to always have an epipen ready in case of emergency.
    Gailll

    Answer by Gailll at 2:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

  • Take him to the ER or doctor. When something is wrong with your child or they do something like that that has never happened before you take them to the doctor. A peanut allergy can be deadly. It is the only allergy that a child doesn't outgrow and can get worse as time goes on. I know a child that has a reaction from just smelling peanut and nut oils in the air. The open bins of nuts in the grocery store have to be avoided or he has a reaction.
    tyfry7496

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN