My 19 month old has a rash all over his back and chest that came out of nowhere--what can it be?

No new foods, same laundry detergent. No fevers lately. I have no idea what is going on with him.....

Anyone's baby ever have anything like this?

What did you do/what happened?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Same thing happened to my baby once, we took him to the hospital and when we got there he threw up everywhere! idk what it was but the rash calmed down after that. the doctors said they really didnt know what it could have been, could of been hives, allergy or stress, but it hasnt happened till then. They said to give my baby some Benedryl to help with the itching.
    BrittanyD07

Answer by BrittanyD07 at 10:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Insect bite? check him over real good for possible bug bites.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Could be strep. My kids always get a strep rash before any other symptoms.

It could also be a number of other things. I would call the doctors office and make an appointment. You can never be too sure. I would ask for a throat culture when you go to the doc. I have been told by several doctors that the rash is not a strep rash, only to demand a strep test and been proven right.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:28 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Also... it can wait until morning.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Is it possible he had a low grade fever you didn't notice? My youngest did the same thing, I knew she had been sick but didn't realize she had a fever but the doc sed it was prob just a very low grade fever.
    Sunny_Nightz

Answer by Sunny_Nightz at 10:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• its hard to tell,it could be anything from dry skin to an allergic reaction. I would rub some lotion on it and if he seems uncomfortable or itchy give him some benedryl. watch him closely for changes and if it lasts more than a couple of days or gets worse take him to the dr.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• got a picture?
    if there is a fever associated with the rash you need to call you doctor
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 10:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Calydryl is a calomine lotion with benadryl in it that you would apply topically, btw, if it is an insect bite. If it's real bad, call the doctor and see if you can give him children's benadryl (get the dosage as per weight) or you notice him having trouble breathing, call 911.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 10:31 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• did you child wear any unwashed new cloths some times the dys and stuff they use on cloths can break out sensiteve skin and children.. it alos cloud be new laundry deturgent or bath soap. it could be a number of things go throw your house check and see if you started useing any thing new if so stop for about a week or two then sart again if it comes back after clearing up then its something new in the house your useing..
    gragg88

Answer by gragg88 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• My daughter suffered from a bad diaper rash up her back because of diarrhea from being lactose intolerant. Doc gave her a cream made up of one part diaper cream, one part Aquaphor/Eucerin and one part vaseline or equivalent. Works wonders.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 10:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010