What do you think of the sexting laws for minors?

In some states it is illegal for minors to parttake in sexting. If you send or recieve these messages you can be convicted of child pornography in some places, other just make you register as a sex offender, even if you are also a minor and romantically involved with the other person.

I HATE these laws. HATE. For a lot of reasons.

What do you think?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 10:33 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't agree with them at all. The kids are still going to do it but now they will be sex offenders for life? Its just not right.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 10:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Ummm...while I think the whole idea of SEXTING is disgusting and completely inappropriate for the age group......convicted of child pornography? Wow.................can we be extreme? Rapists and murderers get off easy, while pot dealers get 20 years and kids who have sex or "sext" each other are considered felons? Oh my. My daughter is only 2 years old, so the future SCARES ME. Seriously, though...............kids are just kids. Sure they may send inappropriate messages, but that is THEIR PARENT'S BUSINESS....it is their job to supervise and discipline them in a situation like this. Where do we draw the line? Maybe we should just sign over parental guardianship and allow the government to GOVERN our children? Until then, big brother BACK OFF!!
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:52 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think (and maybe its just me) that tweens and teens dont need phones! My dughter is 8 and claims to be the "only kid in the class" without one but I dont much care. Perhaps a plan with no texting... or maybe just more parental involvement if they want one? Theres other options besides throwing kids in jail and ruining them for life with SO labels.
    mommymeg2002

Answer by mommymeg2002 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think that they should lose their phones permanently, if they do this but porno charges, that's extreme. I can't imagine why any kid would do this anyway; if and they break up with the other person, the rejected kiddo or the next g/f or b/f, is probably going to put those pix all over the internet for anyone and everyone to see. Kids can be viciously cruel...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Next they'll be arresting kids for telling dirty jokes behind their Mom's backs...

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:41 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think they should be punished but not to register as sex offenders for life. But most of the kids sexting are TEENAGERS and KNOW that is is wrong to do so. Some even do it do get back at another teen.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think the kids who do that are stupid and their parents should stick a foot up their asses. Those pictures are out there forever and will find their way into the hands of bad people in the event of a bad break up. My teens have cellphones but there is no texting or ability to take pictures they can only make calls and are very limited on minutes. They use too many minutes they lose the phone for a month. No reason they need to be on the phone all the time. My kids are thriving they are not so plugged in like many kids and will be better for it. Some of my kids friends cannot even hold a conversation one girl will only text her other friends and will only talk to my daughter. She will whisper any questions she has for me to my daughter I have never heard the girls voice and have known her for 3 years. Her mom thinks it is funny her daughter can only communicate by texting. Crazy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Before cell phones they were doing the same thing via email and the internet (Myspace, etc). I don't see the huge difference and those laws weren't in effect then. But I agree, the kids are going to do what they want regardless and a life punishment for some dumb decision you made as a child (aside from murder) is extreme and should go off record after X years.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 7:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Liberal progressives run amuck. We are in the middle of a progressive surge. I can't wait for that pendulum to swing back towards the center where common sense resides.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:59 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• there is actually a proposed bill here in SC regarding this that I like on it's surface. I've not read and the proof is of course, in the pudding but it sounds good. Basically it addresses sexting on it's own and does not classify the offender or recipient as sex offenders something that will follow them forever. Rather it's a fine. I don't like the idea of these girls doing this but I also don't think it qualifies as a "sex offense" as we use the expression. I think this is another option
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 10:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2010