Question about buying/selling on craigslist

If you post something for sale on craigslist, and someone contacts you and says they're interesting in buying your item, do you respond to them even if it's just to say "Sorry, I already sold it", or do you just ignore them and let them figure it out on their own?

(yeah, I put this in "Just for Fun" because it doesn't really go anywhere else).

makelineerror

Asked by makelineerror at 10:37 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I always respond back to let them know that I have already sold it and then I go delete my post that way I won't get any other e-mails pertaining to that item.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:38 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I always respond...sometimes if the person that is actually buying the item isnt coming until the next day i will delete the ad so I dont get more emails but wont respond to others until it is gone...if the first person was a no-show I will then go through my emails in the order that I got them. i hate not hearing anything at all though :)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, respond just so they know you got their message.
    parajumper3

Answer by parajumper3 at 11:22 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• And that's the way I think it should be, but this morning, I responded to an ad on craigslist. I never got a response, and I went back later and the item was deleted. I thought it was a bit rude of the person not to at least let me know it had been sold.
    makelineerror

Comment by makelineerror (original poster) at 10:41 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• WHEN I SOLD SOMETHING I WENT BACK TO MY POST AND STATED IT WAS SOLD. BUT IF SOMEONE DID RESPOND I WOULD LET THEM KNOW OUT OF COURTESY IT WAS SOLD. I'D HOPE THEY WOULD DO THE SAME FOR ME. SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 11:24 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, I always delete the post and then respond to any e-mails that straggle in. I just think it's common courtesy. However, I find that the majority of craigslist users do not practice common courtesy.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Never used Craig's list
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 8:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• BE SURE TO WATCH 'THE CRAIG'S LIST KILLER ON LIFETIME THIS COMING WEEK.(JAN.3rd)
    ConnieLea

Answer by ConnieLea at 3:42 PM on Jan. 1, 2011