What should I expect at my first ultrasound?

I just had my first baby doctor appointment today, this is my first baby...I'm 20 years old and doing this all on my own and honesty I have no clue what to expect at any given point so I hope none of you think I'm dumb for asking this.

What should I expect at my first ultrasound next week? Doctor says I'm probably about 7 weeks pregnant so my first ultrasound I will be 8 weeks. What will the baby look like at that point? Will the ultrasound give me an exact idea of how far along I am?

menko21

Asked by menko21 at 10:51 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Pregnancy

• are you sure they'll do an ultra sound? some doctors only listen for a heartbeat. but if they are, and you're only 8wks when they do, they will more than likely have to do the vaginal ultrasound, it's like a stick thing they stick up in you, they get a better look that way. at 8wks your baby will only look like a dot...not really much to see. but if it's your first and you see the dot, you'll probly cry happy tears :) good luck!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 10:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• not much, you cant see much detail at 8 wks....basicly a blob with a flickering heart, yolk sac and thats it. They will likely just look for fetal pole, make sure there is only 1 baby and check heart beat!
    kness7

Answer by kness7 at 10:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• they will have to do a vaginal ultrasound this early. you wont see alot...a little bean :D they should have a pretty good idea at gestation though and may be able to see a heartbeat.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 10:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• you wont get an exact idea but a pretty close estimate....8 week ultrasound it wont show a whole lot mine at 10 weeks my baby looked like it had little numbs and wiggled alot in the ultrasound it was exciting though every ultrasound was exciting for me i loved it even if all was there looked like a worm i still was over joyed....
    katally77

Answer by katally77 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yes, I went for my first appointment today and she said she wanted to do an ultrasound next week because I have been bleeding a little so she wanted to make sure everything looked okay.
    menko21

Comment by menko21 (original poster) at 10:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• well....He or she will have arms legs fingers and a head and body which will look kind of weird because your baby is juuuust starting to look more like a baby still doesn't have a long neck or anything.. other than a heart and beginnings of growing organs You can expect to see your babys heart beat like the heart pumping but you may not be able to hear it yet. It is really the neatest thing to see your baby for the first time. Your baby may even move its arms and legs!!! You are going to be blown away and will be in disbelief that there is actually a human life growing inside of you. I definitely know by 13 weeks your baby will be moving around a ton but you won't be able to feel it till you are about 6 months.. Its nothing to be nervous about each appointment brings new excitement. Everything will turn out fine!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 10:59 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Like armywife said, you'll most likely have a vaginal ultrasound since the baby will still be in your pelvis area. The probe was not uncomfortable as I recall.

Your child may look like a small bean at that age.

It took 2 ultrasounds for my dr to determine where my due date should be.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:00 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I think I am thinking of my first Ultra that was at 13 weeks so maybe your baby won't be as advanced. They gave me an estimated date of Aug 4th and my baby was born July 18th so you never know!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 11:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Now I'm nervous about the "probe" lol I got pregnant the very first time I had sex. I've only had sex once in my entire life so the probe very well might hurt. And now I'm wondering how on Earth I'll give birth when I can't even have sex comfortably yet.
    menko21

Comment by menko21 (original poster) at 11:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Dont worry, they will use a lubricant and it wasnt even as bad as getting a pap smear. just try to relax, if you are tense it will be more uncomfortable. Once you see your baby on the screen you'll forget about it ;)
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 11:07 PM on Dec. 30, 2010