Does anyone brush their teeth with straight baking soda?

Not the commercial toothpastes with baking soda in them ... I mean straight, pure baking soda.

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 10:58 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Health

• When I was a preschool teacher, we would make toothpaste with baking soda, salt, peppermint, and hydrogen peroxide. Last year, I had a little left over so I took it home to try it out. It's not something that I would do again.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Yuk, no. It taste nasty. I use it as an antacid, water and baking soda. it works, but it tastes nasty.

Answer by louise2 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• Nope,tastes NASTY. You really need the floride that traditional toothpaste provides.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:05 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I have when my mouth felt extra yucky or when I ran out of toothpaste.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 11:13 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• No but my grandmother and her friends grew up using baking Soda they didn't have toothpaste.. I hear it helps whiten your teeth and its wayyy better to gargle or use Baking soda for a rinse then Listerine or scope.. those brands we have today have certain things that can cause mouth cancer and other problem. Baking Soda works wonders. The only time I have really used it was when I was pregnant and ran out of TUMs had terrinle heart burn. A teaspoon of baking soda in warm water down the hatch gets rid of Heart burn!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 11:50 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• I never have.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My mom made us do that once a week when we were kids to help whiten them, but a few years ago, my dentist told me that brushing with baking soda will scratch the enamel on teeth because it is an abrasive. I already have sensitive teeth and can't afford for my enamel to be thinned or damaged, so I've never done it again.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 6:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes, with a squirt of lemon juice, but not too often. I believe it's a bit too abrasive to do daily.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I did before but the taste was terrible
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:35 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Yes, off and on for years. Never have had any bad consequences.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:52 PM on Dec. 31, 2010