How do I finish weaning my 11 mo. old?

I have been slowly weaning my daughter since she was 6 months. She is down to one nursing a day, on one side at night. I'm already supplementing Pediasure for the nursings at the suggestion of my doctor, but she's still having trouble going to sleep with just that. Any suggestions for getting her unattached?

ladybugsmum

Asked by ladybugsmum at 10:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Rent a couple of older kids and let them run around the room while you try to nurse. This works for me. My 2nd and 3rd babies were so distracted by their big brother that they didn't want to nurse. LOL. Okay, seriously now. She may just have to cry a bit (like my first did). A little crying won't hurt or scar her emotionally though. It will hurt you emotionaly more than it bothers her. As long as you are consistent, she'll adjust quickly. Be strong and brave, this is clearly something you want for yourself and your daughter or you wouldn't have planned it out as well as you have. 6 months in the making is pretty impressive.
    ArtC

Answer by ArtC at 3:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• I used to rub my sons back when he would wake up after weaning. Once he figured out that I wasn't going to nurse him, (after about a week and a 1/2) he stopped waking up.
    Simonsmama

Answer by Simonsmama at 10:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Is there a reason you're wanting to wean right now? You've made it this far, what's one more month :) When I weaned I did one feeding every week or 2. (I only had a few feedings left so it didn't take long). I tried not to rush it too much so they could adapt. I would try to replace that feeding with something - a cup of warm milk, singing together, reading together or something like that and got them a new lovey to have.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 12:02 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• :( When I weaned I think it was harder on me. My daughter was ready to move on just a couple weeks before her first birthday. She did however see her boppy about 2 weeks after I weaned her and she had a little meltdown, but was ok after that. Boppy was put away in storage and the nursing was soon forgotten.

Good luck...I know it's hard!
    HomeBoundMama

Answer by HomeBoundMama at 12:06 AM on Jul. 7, 2008

• Why are you using Pediasure & not formula? Just wondering. You just have to pick a routine & stick with it... if you don't want to nurse her right before bed, don't. As long as she isn't hungry, you could offer her a little water instead. She'll fuss for several nights, but you can soothe her by rocking her or rubbing her back instead. She'll realize that you're not going to offer her the boob anymore & will stop crying for it.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 1:46 AM on Jul. 7, 2008