Anyone familiar with the HCG diet?

I am considering it. I would like input from experience.

Noosa

Asked by Noosa at 11:43 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• omg that like doing drugs literally, you are "shooting up" something that goes against your bodies function.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:46 AM on Jan. 1, 2011

• We actually researched this the other night here on Cafemom. It has a ton of ill side effects. The best way to lose weight is to cut back your portion sizes, cut out sweets and sodas and lots of exercise. Rather than buy these stuff, it is better in the long run to join Weight Watchers or Jenny Craig.

Here are the side effects: "Some women on the hCG diet have developed a side effect known as ovarian hyper-stimulation syndrome (OHSS), especially during the first round of treatment. While OHSS is rare, it can be a life threatening condition, so call your healthcare provider right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: Severe pelvic pain; swelling of the hands or legs; stomach pain and swelling; shortness of breath; weight gain; diarrhea; nausea or vomiting; or urinating less than normal."
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:08 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My aunt was on it and now that Im reading the post above she had those side effects. She still has over a half full bottle but it made her sick feeling.
    But I have also heard a lot of success storys.
    ErinML

Answer by ErinML at 12:19 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• yeah i did it for a 1 & 1/2 months and ive never been so hungry in my life!!!! okay 500 calories a day...really??? have u ever really sat down and calculated how many calories 500 is? well let me help u...its not a lot of food!!!! this is a day in the life of the diet...coffee no sugar one teaspoon of cream..a small apple 4 a snack or a orange,1/2 grapefruit...4 oz of meat & veggies( mind u all foods: meats, veggies, fruits are pre selected...then u get 2 choose within those choices!!!)..small apple...dinner measured the same way u did lunch!!! mind u stay within the 500 calories...every day..day in & day out...O MY GOSH!!! it will drive you crazy!! and make sure you dont make the mistake i did, if u have diabetes...TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!!! and they will probably tell you no!! i got so sick & it wasnt cool!! but if u want 2 starve yourself and pay to do it...this diet is 4 u!!!!
    notthamama

Answer by notthamama at 12:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• My husbands grandmother just did it in the summer, she loved it because its all the food she likes and it kept her in check. She lost 40 lbs in that month and a half, she is now keeping it off well. She had a hard time giving herself a shot every day, so I gave her the shots. She didnt really have any side effects.
    leksismommy

Answer by leksismommy at 1:48 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Do you realize that 500 calories a day puts your body into starvation mode, which means that you slow your metabolism? This means that as soon as you STOP the diet (because, seriously, this CANNOT be sustained forever), you will gain back the weight, plus MORE, because you have SLOWED YOUR METABOLISM. These crash diets are HORRIBLE for people, not to mention all of the ill side effects of the hormones.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:52 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• please don't believe all you hear on TV and ads for this pill or that shot or whatever!You can diet safely by talking to a nutritionist at your local health dept.
    grismelda

Answer by grismelda at 4:13 PM on Dec. 31, 2010