Have you heard the term Christian Hedonist?

What are your thoughts on it?

If you haven't heard it, would you guess as to its meaning?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 11:46 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• From what I understand about Christianity (I'm a Christ follower myself) and what I understand about Hedonism, I truly don't see how the two can go together as they are complete opposites in my book.

Hedonism is basically doing what you want, regardless of how it affects others.

Christianity is about doing what God wants us to do and putting aside our selfish desires.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 12:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I "Bing"ed it and this was the first entry:

What is Christian Hedonism?

A "Christian Hedonist" sounds like a contradiction, doesn't it? If the term makes you squirm, we understand. But don't throw this paper away just yet. We're not heretics (really!). Nor have we invented another prosperity-obsessed theology by twisting the Bible to sanctify our greed or lust. We are simply stating an ancient, orthodox, Biblical truth in a fresh way.

http://www.desiringgod.org/about/our-distinctives/our-beliefs/what-is-christian-hedonism

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 1:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I've never heard of it, I'll have to research it now.

Mamaie

Answer by Mamaie at 6:16 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Learn something new every day.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 7:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I've not heard of it, but I can see it, and if someone wants to consider themselves one its not my place to say anything. Faith is personal and we each have to worry about ourselves and allow each other to exercise our faith in our own way, in and on our own terms.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:36 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• (and I sympathize, actually, as I know what it feels like to have other Christians make comments - Christian Universalism often gets the same treatment *wink*)
    bandgeek521

• well when I looked at the info on the link it seems that they believe what most Christians believe in terms of having joy and pleasure in our relationship with God. In fact, only some denominations, find that expressing joy and happiness is un-godly. Those instead prefer to be "reverent" and quiet. So maybe this was an off-shoot of people coming from that kind of church and named it this. I don't know anything else about it but I agree with the info that was on the link. I delight in the Lord and I know He delights in my delight :)
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 11:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Ahh interesting.... right up my alley.... Joy of the Lord is where we are to live. No where does God say we have to be miserable! Suffering does not mean misery we can suffer with the Joy of the Lord!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:32 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Kittie it sounds like its an offshoot of those coming out of religious bound churches who do not believe we have the freedom to laugh and dance and jump for joy in Him. I have friends who are constantly walking in this joy no matter what is going on around them. Its healthier !
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 31, 2010