I have a little 3 yr old boy who is resitant to potty training. He's done #1 but not #2 & always tells me tommorow we'll do it....Should I just try saying we have no more diapers & he has to put his big boy underwear on??

He'll be 4 in August.

sissaymay

Asked by sissaymay at 11:54 PM on Dec. 30, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He doesn't do #1 either he's tried & liked it but Im to blame to not being persistant
    sissaymay

Comment by sissaymay (original poster) at 11:55 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• That's what I had to do with my little boy at the same age. Eventually he got tired of getting nasty every time.
    aheuszel

Answer by aheuszel at 11:56 PM on Dec. 30, 2010

• just start introducing it to him some more just take him and sit him down on the tolite that is what i was told to do and do it consistly and all it takes is a week... that is what i was told but then yet my son who is 2 isn't potty trained yet either but we are trying.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 12:01 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• By 3 our little girl went pee but not the other and by 4 she was still resistant to do #2 until .......
    Her Doctor gave us an idea to try.
    Buy a toy, video or something that he wants really badly and put it on a shelf out of reach but still visible. Tell him that once he has gone potty with no mistakes for x amount of days [we choose 4 days] then he gets to keep said toy, book etc. Then extend the time period and tell him that he will be able to choose something from the store and he will be in control of that choice. Yeah we showed our dd only part of the toy store and partly controlled what she could buy but she felt in total control.

Guess what ..... 10 days later our dd had not had a potty accident. She is now 6.5 years old and has only had 2 accidents at night and both of those were totally my fault. I gave her too much to drink one night and the other night I did not get her to go potty before she went to bed.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 12:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You know what...it is ok. He will do it. He may not want it to Plop and splash him...its a big deal the thought of releasing such a thing into the toilet. If you hold him tomorrow and be patient and kind and continue to encourage him while he needs to go poop on the toilet he will get it and do it and not be so afraid. Be sure to praise him when he tries rather than put him down..I hate it when parents do that. Do not say it is nasty or gross or anything like that when he has an accident or goes poop. This scares kids believe it or not. We went to the library and got books and movies for children on potty training and all 3 of mine who were potty training got what they as individuals needed from those movies and books. They did it finally. You could just see them absorbing the information..it was great. Don't give up. One of mine did that too and we did what I said above and it worked.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 12:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Lynnsae the nerves around the bladder do not fully developed until the age of 2 so its very unusual for them to be potty trained by 2. I was told to introduce them to a potty at the age of 2 and then not to push it too much until they can communicate that they are either going potty in the diaper or that they need to go. Then start getting them to sit on the potty at regular intervals. So your little boy is doing fine and yes it takes about 4-7 days for them to get used to it and do it all the time.

I have seen a very young 2 year old potty train real quick but he had a 3.5 year old brother who was being potty trained so as soon as his nerves developed he was there copying his brother.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 12:11 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I never put them in a diaper when we are potty training. Eventually they will go to the potty...I put the potty chair in the corner in living room. We don't have carpet either which makes it easy for clean ups
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 12:17 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I just answered another similar question with this answer - Let him walk around the house naked when he is at home so he becomes more self-aware of his body.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 2:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• good luck I have the same problem, except my three year old won't do anything in the potty and he freaks out if he doesn't have a diaper on, I think he has sensory issues. He too will also say, "tomorrow" lol

I think all the suggestions are good, as long as you're not getting extreme temper tantrums, that will only turn him off to it more.

good luck, all the advice my doc gave, was to keep trying gently and not to push or punish.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I had this issue with my son - - - I think he was bored, so I gave him some cars (his favorite past-time) and told him he could play on the back on the toilet with them - - while he did #2. He was game - - he sat on the toilet backwards and would play cars and then when he felt like he was done, he'd come running out and I'd wipe his behind. It works - - give it a try! = ]
    rebeccan3

Answer by rebeccan3 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 31, 2010