Dumb question but im curious about witches...

what is a witch to u? what makes someone want to label them self as a witch? are there any good witches? do any witches believe in god? I have seen moms on here call themselves witches and I am just curious. This is all new to me...i thought witches only existed in movies

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have a "Pagan Education" Blog which has some great information on it. Some of it may help to further answer your questions, and could possibly bring up some new ones (sorry about that - lol) Here are some you should read...

Ask A Pagan

The Science Of Magick

Can You Be Christian AND a Witch? - I include this one because of your question about God...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Sparks don't fly from our fingertips or from wands. We can't blow things up by swishing our hands. We can't move things by twitching our noses, etc. Magick and witchcraft is basically ritualized prayers and using our energies and the energies around us to effect change in the world for a positive purpose. I could go on for a while, but I'm starting to get groggy lol. Again, you can PM me anytime.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:07 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I'm a witch. I call myself a witch because I am. I practice witchcraft. In 21 years I have not met a single "bad" witch. Many of us believe in a higher power/higher powers (polytheistic), but there are Atheist Witches, also. There are also Christian Witches, Jewish Witches, Wiccan Witches, Pagan Witches, Eclectic Witches, etc. You can be a witch without believing in higher powers, but as I said, many of us do. I personally believe that all Gods and Goddesses are real, but I don't worship and revere them all. I have my Matron Goddess, but my Patron God has yet to be revealed. I am an Eclectic Pagan, and also a practicing Witch. There are all sorts of misconceptions out there about Witches, so if you have more questions, you can PM me anytime and I'd be happy to answer them for you.

As far as the witches from movies goes, just like everything else on TV, they're dramatized and unrealistic. (Continued)
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:03 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• The title "witch" is a very special title.. it means someone who is very learned in certain areas such as; history, science, holistic medicine, candles, herbs, divination, stones, cooking.. and even more. A witch is a person that if you have a sore throat, they will have a special homemade tea in the back of their closet that makes you feel better..or gives you a special stone when you are down on your luck. Witchcraft in itself differs from practitioner to practitioner, but the idea is the same. It is like working prayer through a more physical hands on approach mixed with real science. I have met a few bad apples, but that is very rare. Some witches believe in god..but not all of them. I personally believe in a god and goddess that are a part of all things, which is popular in witch circles.. but not all of them. Witches are very real, and they are amazing people!
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 7:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Everything Mrs.BAT and MamaJasmine said.

I've been a practicing witch for about 10 years and haven't ran across any bad ones. I have ran across (in forums) many "fluffy bunnies" but the have mostly been those enamored with the Hollywood version of a witch such as Charmed, Willow on Buffy the Vampire Slayer or the movie The Craft

I believe in God. Very firm belief in fact. God to me is male and female, God and Goddess and yet neither at the same time. Go read what I wrote here (http://www.cafemom.com/answers/688699/Can_you_explain_God_without_the_Bible) to see how I see God. Same as with the others, PM me with any questions. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:28 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Mrs.BAT ... you have to admit, sometimes it would be wicked cool to have powers like Willow or the Halliwell sisters. *grin*
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• my ancestors were accused of being witches back in the day of the Salem Witch trials. Mary Estey & Rebecca Nurse are my ancestors, I wonder if that makes me a witch??!!!
    Karkie22

Answer by Karkie22 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I believe many people call themselves witches because they wish to be but are far from it. Just because you have read a book on Wicca and liked what you read does not make you a witch. You see this happen in all belief systems. I read a book on gardening. Does that make me a gardener? When it comes to any belief system you should do your research, practice what you believe, and be strong in your belief.

zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:34 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• http://movedblog-ren-ren.blogspot.com/2010/12/part-2.html
    ObiRenKenobi

Answer by ObiRenKenobi at 9:46 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I am a witch, and very proudly so. So, yes, witches exist outside of the movies. However, what you most likely picture to be a witch due to those movies is purely fiction. Witches come in all shapes, sizes & belief systems. As for myself, I am a Pagan Witch, which is generally the most common type of witch in the US. As a Pagan I am a Polytheist, meaning I believe in many Gods & Goddesses. However, there are those who believe in simply one of each or just one "Supreme Being" and others are Atheists.

Now, as to your "What is a witch" question, there are many definitions as I'm sure you see here. Basically though, a witch is someone who creates change in her own world by the practice of focusing energy. This can be done through any number of forms of "focus" which are generally called Magick or Witchcraft. Please understand that this is a PRACTICE, this is not a belief, and it can fit with ANY religious belief.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2010