What do you think about my decision?

I have decided to give my son my last name. It is my first child. I have been with the father for over 2 1/2 years, but we have no present plans to get married. He has two boys from a previous relationship. They have his last name. If we do get married in the future I will change both me and my son's last name to his. I just feel it's the right thing to have the same last name as my child. Anyone think this is wrong to do?

Kelli1012

Asked by Kelli1012 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Baby Names

• absolutely not! i think thats the best and only way to go!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 12:57 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Nope, I am doing the same. I am 30weeks.
    sissy0604

Answer by sissy0604 at 1:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think it's perfectly fine.
    SpaceToast

Answer by SpaceToast at 1:05 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• As long as you both agree on it
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 1:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• That's a good idea, and I think I'd do the same.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 1:29 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I am not married to my son's dad, but gave him his dad's last name because it seemed right to me. I think this is a personal decision and you should do whatever you think is best for you and your family.
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 1:43 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Its a personal decision, I too gave my daughter her fathers name. No way is wrong, just a personal choice.
    MumaSue

Answer by MumaSue at 3:24 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I personally would have given the baby the fathers last name but its your child. as long as both you and the father agree with him having your last name then you made the right choice for your family.
    coolassmom87

Answer by coolassmom87 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I think it's fine as long as the baby's father is also fine with it. I wouldn't personally give my child my own last name because my child's father is in her life and is always going to be there, but if he was a dead-beat father and didn't want anything to do with her, then I definitely would not give her his last name.

But it's your child and it's your decision! It's definitely not a bad decision, just do whatever you're happy with. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 2:23 PM on Dec. 31, 2010

• i agree with poptart!!!
    psylees_mommy

Answer by psylees_mommy at 2:25 PM on Dec. 31, 2010