Easy Appetizer Recipes

We typically stay in on New Years Eve - not only is partying not our style, but we also have several children at home and don't do the sitter thing. :)

I usually do cheeses, meats, crackers, etc. But thought I'd make a few fun fingerfood/appetizer recipes with the kids tomorrow.

Any suggestions? I'm not necessarily wanting to go sweet but it could be, I guess :)

AAAMama

Asked by AAAMama at 1:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Well... if you like hot food and seafood (not everyone's taste, but popular 'round here): smear a tub of spreadable cream cheese (low fat or regular, doesn't matter at all to the taste) on a large plate --like 16-20" across. Pour salsa however hot you like all over it --takes about a cup or so. Sprinkle either 'salad' shrimp (cooked, peeled little guys) or smoked or candied salmon, broken into small pieces, all over the top. Ta da. You're done. Want something harder?

Take as much brie or camembert as you'd like to buy or have around the house --anything from a triangle cut from a 10" circle to a 10" circle, if you have one-- and put it into a shallow baking dish large enough to hold it. Now, if you like baked garlic, peel between 6 and 20 cloves and spread over the cheese, sprinkle olive oil over all of it and bake 20 minutes @ 350. If you don't like garlic you can use sundried tomatoes or fresh cranberries. Oil and bake. mmm
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 1:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• I like doing a layer dip. A layer of beans, then cheese, then guac, then sour cream, and topped with pico de gallo. I make it all from scratch, and it turns out super yummy!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:33 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• A little expensive, but really yummy. Buy a round of Brie, scoop a small amount into pre made pastry shells. Top with whatever jam or preservees you like (I use raspberry), and a sprinkle of finely ground nuts. Bake until cheese is warm and softened.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 7:51 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Take cucumbers, zuchinni and yellow squash, cut into rounds and top with a small plop of ranch dressing. My 2 squash haters eat the hell out of this! Happy New Year!
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 8:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Try a yogurt dip with fruit for the kids.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:12 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Cream cheese with salsa. :)
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:15 PM on Dec. 31, 2010