How do I respond

my boyfriend is stationed over in afghanistan and we get to talk often but when we do I hear how miserable he is and knowing that there is nothing i can do for him. I dont know what those guys are going thru over there. I am afraid for him. I pray for his safe return as well as the others stationed overseas. how do i respond to him when he tells me that he is miserable and such. I know esp now with it being the holidays that he is depressed and such. He is a contractor over there. He wont be coming home for another 8 months. I can tell already that being there has changed him. For those with s/o stationed over there how do i help him. what can i say to make him feel better.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Dec. 31, 2010 in Relationships

• I cant imagine what you are going through all i can say is continue to be there for him! you have to stay strong for the both of you he needs all the support he can get god bless you and your family
    Marie_07

Answer by Marie_07 at 1:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• You're right, there's not really a whole lot that you can do other than assure him that you'll be there waiting for him when he comes home.
    If you were a military wife I'd tell you there are people you can talk to on base who can help you. Write him lots of letters, send over goodies that he's missing from home, different things to brighten his days as best as you can.
    Never having been a military wife or daughter I really don't know the answers... maybe you could find a support group online that might could help you to know what to do?
    Much much luck and many of us will be praying for his safe return and hopefully the changes you hear in him, will disappear when he gets home and gets reaquainted with life at home :)
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 1:45 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Just tell him that you love him and miss him; promise him a wonderful welcome home upon his return. Let him know that your love and support for him and what he's doing will never waver. We all have friends and family overseas and our hearts go out to them.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:04 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Lots and lots of care packages help out. If he has internet connection you can chat. Is this his first tour as a contractor? If it is then he will adjust to his environment after a while.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:13 AM on Dec. 31, 2010

• Just listen to him and stay faithful. There isn't much you can do. Try to be upbeat. Yes, send him things he misses from home, even if you think it's silly. It's amazing the things they miss. Like, we have this pillow spray from Bath and Body. I sent my hubby a travel sized one. That was a good thing to send. You know your BF, so you'd know what to send, just think about it.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 31, 2010